Question Windows-Registry Recovery & AdAware exception

Hi,
    In the last two days I've gotten this message after botting up my pc:
    "One of the files containing the systems registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

Dell Dimension E510

I also got a huge "Unhandled Exception" from AdAware. I copied the report to Word but it's 22 pages!! Do I need AdAware with Malwarebytes and SuperAnti Spyware programs? I haven't run AdAware for a while and am thinking that I just have too much in here now?
    Thanks.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Turquoise, back so soon?

Does the error message only pop up in one user name? If you only use one name, try creating a new administrative user account and see if it happens when you log on with that new name. If not, the probability is you have a corrupted registry relating to the old name. Easiest solution is to log on with your new name, transfer as many of the personal settings from the old - things like Startup programs, email accounts, My documents plus anything else that could be lost. When you are happy you've done all you can, delete the old user name account.

Another solution is here.....

You must enable hidden files and folders. Open any window, click on Tools, Folder Options

1. Create a new user account with administrative rights on the affected machine. Navigate to the affected user's profile directory and copy ntuser.dat to a folder named backup on your C: drive.

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ntuser.dat to c:\backup)

2. Once you have backed up the ntuser.dat file, overwrite it with the one located in c:\windows\repair\

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\windows\repair\ntuser.dat to c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ )

3. Log off the temporary account you have created and login to the affected user account and let windows fully load up. This will create a new ntuser.dat file under the user's profile.

4. Once windows has fully loaded up, log back out of the affected user's account and log back into the temporary account you made earlier.

5. Copy the ntuser.dat file you backed up earlier to the user's profile directory overwriting the new file that was created.

(example for a user named dave: copy c:\backup\ntuser.dat to c:\Documents and Settings\dave\ )

6. Log out of the temporary account and log back into the computer under the affected account and see if the problem is fixed.
    You should run through the instructions, looking in the folders mentioned, before starting. It looks complex, but is actually quite straightforward.

Unlike antivirus programs, you can have as many antispyware programs as you wish, just don't try running them all at the same time. The ones you list are fine.

Good luck.

Edit...re your Adaware problem, uninstall it, run Ccleaner, download the latest version of Adaware and install. Make sure the above problem is sorted before doing so.
    Last edited by arraknid; 07-05-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Question

Just a quick note. Before I saw this window pop up when I booted, I had installed the two new 1GB replacement memory sticks from PNY. Any connection? I haven't done the steps you mentioned yet, I need to find the time to comit to doing it right step by step.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unlikely, but the timing could make it possible. With Windows, anything is possible. Try creating another admin account first, just to see if it works OK, before doing the heavy stuff.

I did a system restore back to the day before adding in the new memory sticks and the window didn't come up tonight. That was a quick-fix I thought of trying. This place is a mess after some remodeling and I can't get enough time to stay awake at my pc!! Uhgh!
    You can close this post if you feel it's OK. I printed it out with the steps to create a new admin. account.

Intersting...I deleted the Guest user account which has never been used and I haven't seen that registry recovery message since then.