Smile Is registry maintenance that important?

I currently have a 1-year subscription to Norton's Protection System. When I scan my PC, everything comes up clean. But lately I've been getting these mini-windows from RegCure telling me I have over like 200 errors present in my system and I need to upgrade to correct them? What exactly are they talking about and is there anything free out there that can do the same thing?

There talking about $40.00 to upgrade to remove errors that probably do not exist, I would remove the program Regcure from your add/remove programs list if it's there..

More:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ure-c4155.html

zep..

Default hope you're right.

I hope you're right. BTW, I researched and found other websites that offered similar protection. The one that was "rated" the highest claimed I had over 2,000 discrepancies to delete. Go figure. Anybody else have an opinion or experience in this matter?

Usually, the worst thing that happens is that you are wasting hard drive space. If space isn't an issue and everything is working fine, you probably don't need to worry about it. Most of the registry "errors" are references to programs or files that no longer exist. Ccleaner is a free program that will clean up your temp files and can also clean up registry issues. Available here: www.ccleaner.com

Charlie

Thumbs up thanks for the clues!

Now I am very glad I came to you guys for advice. I would've dropped $29.95 if I would've gotten indifferent feedback. Yeah I am familiar with CCleaner. As a matter of fact I have it installed already but rarely use it because when I run it, it only takes 3 to 5 seconds to complete. So forget them other guys huh. Thanks y'all.

Ccleaner has several different parts (look at the icons on the left). The cleaner part removes the temporary files. The registry part will clean up the registry and give you the option to make a backup of the registry before it does any cleaning. Charlie

Default fox in the henhouse

So I guess the evidence is building against these Registry Defender guys. I've got CCleaner but didn't realize they could do the same thing these others advertise is so direly necessary. Thanks. I'll use that function of CCleaner now.