Default In hospital wi Windows 98 dial up Help!

Hi everyone, i am a newbie here. I am in hospital for surgery. This hospital doesn't support wireless. I have my handy dandy fujitsu dial up Windows 98 notebook. But It takes forever to open an email gives lots of illegal messages & crashes. I used to travel with it a lot & it was great. I think the problem is the online browsers have been upgraded but don't mesh with Winows 98. Can you tell me the highest level browser one can use with Windows 98 in IE & Firefox & send me a link to upgrade? or any other suggestion? thx so much (edit out e-mail address. We do not respond by e-mail and it is not suggested leaving e-mail addresses on an open forum, spammers pick them up). Canuck
    Last edited by PartieHonteuse; 07-10-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You don't say whether you have Win98 or 98SE. Either way the highest version of IE you could use is IE 6.0, with maybe SP1 version on 98SE. Where you'd find a copy of it is anyone's guess. Try Google.

You also don't explain how you are dialling up. Via a cell phone, or through the hospital system? If it's the latter, you may as well forget it, there are so many filters in place, not to mention firewalls, it would be amazing if you could get anything at all.

I have to say that with a machine that's as old as that, I doubt it'll cope with the Internet of today which is more and more geared to broadband traffic.

Hope that helps and good luck with the surgery.

Default THx so much. I'll try it

THx