Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Angry New (pulling my hair out) stop error

What the (censored by poster...) is wrong with my pc? I am imagining so much joy out of tossing off a bridge right now! One week after replacing the 2GB of memory with new product I get a stop error today when I started it up from stand-by mode:
    ***stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8054B51A, 0xB44E4B94, 0x00000000)

I did research other posts here about "8e" being a memory issue but come on! This is insane! It only happened once so far and I was able to reastart within a few minutes. I also ran 2 MemTest simotaneously with 1023MB each (as recomended) to about 500% and had no errors. After about 2 1/2 hours I decided to stop it.

There was also this message with the one stop error:

"Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in stop message, diable driver or check w/ manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapter.

Check w/ hardware vendor for BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing."

I searched for info on Dell BIOS updates last week or earlier and couldn't find anything I understood. Will Help2Go Detective help with this if I do a HijackThis run?
    OMG! I am so close to digresing to the dark ages of the mighty pen!!

Dell E510
    3GB RAM

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Here's the place you need to be http://support.dell.com/support/down...n&catid=&impid= select and install the BIOS download or it may be quicker to use one of the Diagnostics programs.

Thumbs up

Thanks Canuck, that got me where I needed to be. Before I got to do that download though I got a different stop error of 0x00000024. "Disable/uninstall antivirus, disk defragmenter or back up utility. Check hard drive configuration & for updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive ...." (my notes went to chicken scratch on the last word.
    I will be doing some searching of forums on this as well. Do I need to just give in and take this thing in for an overhaul?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Turquoise,

Sounds like you may have a serious problem with the hard drive. This may help you sort things.

One thing you need to do is backup as much as you can, as soon as you can. If this is due to corruption, you could have a failed HD at any time. When we have this situation at work, we always replace the HD and restore data from a backup. That option may not be available to you, but if it is, use it. Don't wait.

Good luck.

I am just inches from being a Help2Go Administrator I can feel it! Haha Anyway, I did the back up of all files and got into my owners manual for steps on running diagnostics; Got to a Dell PC Checkup site that gave me a "system status OK" except for recomending Windows XP Firewall, but I am using Comodo. I also realized that I had the wrong registration key in for my Avast program. I recently re-newed my childs pc and put that same key in mine. I did the "express test" & the "custom test" through the diags. The hard drive checked out fine/had no errors. What did have errors was one or both of my dvd/cd-r or rw drives. I wrote down the error code but didn't seem to jot the "dvd cd...." path so I don't know if it's one or both. Here is what I have:

Error Code: 0F00: 136C
    IDE device failed: Blank media or no media is present in optical drive. Test requires media with digital data. (Resource CD, Installation CD.)

Oddly, the top DVD/CD drive that I bought in March only came with a Nero software sample and no installation CD. Odd? Since my issues began with stop error codes when playing a DVD, I wonder if I need to hunt down an installation CD. But again, DVDs' are my only issue. I've played music and put games in on this drive. So any thoughts on the diag. error code?

I have yet to run Chkdsk /f /r because of the amount of time the diags. took today. Am I to type it in exactly ^as I have it here?^ Arraknid, your link refrenced corrupted SCSI and EIDE...but it doesn't breakdown what those are. I haven't gotten another stop 24 ...yet. Fingers crossed.

My Computer Management/Event Viewer/System had a lot of errors!! But I don't know the terminology to know where they are coming from. Not sure if I can copy/paste some samples but I will if you want me to try.

Signed,
    Nearly bald.

Blog Entries

Hi Turquoise,

Error Code: 0F00: 136C
    IDE device failed: Blank media or no media is present in optical drive. Test requires media with digital data. (Resource CD, Installation CD.)
    If you run a 32bit diagnostic on a 64bit machine, you'll always get that error reported with nothing in the drawer. If you rerun the diagnostic with any data CD, the error should disappear.

You say your 'top' drive. Does that mean you have 2? If so, is there a problem with the other one?

DVD/CD players don't need an installation disk. They are detected by Windows and installed automatically.

In the Event Viewer, click on System and look for Error in the Type column. If you see lots the same, from the same source, right click and select Properties. That'll give you a description of the error.

Assuming your root drive is C, the command is chkdsk c: /f /r You can cut and past if you wish.

If you are sitting down, I think you should read this too.

Let us know how it goes.

Thumbs down

Alright I ran the chkdsk by a copy/paste of what you left for me. It went through 5 steps but there were no results. I left the pc for a little bit while it was on the 5th step and when I came back it was on the sign on screen where I enter my password. So now what?
    BTW I had 2 stop errors today when I booted up. An 8e and a 24 again. I thought 8e was the BIOS update which I did.
    The 8e also had
    ***win32k.sys-Address BF82C47B base at BF800000, Datestamp 48025f2a

One of the messages is to check for adequate disk space. If I am reading drive C correctly I have 81.4GB out of a total size of 144GB. (Used is 62.8GB)
    Do I need to dump unused programs? If the hard drive was corrupted, what would the chkdsk have told me? I am so lost!

I contacted EVGA about my 84 series video card to see if there was a refund possible and they said anything that EVGA sold was not affected and it was notebooks that had the chip error. Not a big deal. I am still looking or a new card that compares to what I have now keeping all your sugestions in mind.
    Last edited by turquoise122; 07-15-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: adding info.

Blog Entries

A pity you didn't wait to see what, if anything, was found and repaired. Needless to say, if you got your welcome screen, chkdsk did it's job. Did you get the boot up errors before or after running chkdsk?

***win32k.sys-Address BF82C47B base at BF800000, Datestamp 48025f2a
    This is telling you that your Virtual Memory is corrupt. It may be possible to repair it though. Read here.

If, after that, you still get error warnings, you should seriously think about replacing the hard drive. Bearing in mind that your virtual memory is located on your hard drive, and that you are again getting Stop 24 error warnings, the clues, as they say, are all there!

I contacted EVGA about my 84 series video card to see if there was a refund possible and they said anything that EVGA sold was not affected and it was notebooks that had the chip error.
    That's very much the 'official' line from Nvidia, but problems are surfacing with desktops too, so make up your own mind. I'll just stick with Radeon.

After the first 4 tests that had no outcome except "completed," I didn't think I would need to be around for the end. It took so long just to get to that point. Plus I figured it wouldn't move on to anything if something was wrong.

Any insight as to what may have started to cause this mess? I thought I was doing good maintaining this one and KABOOM! haha

Both stop errors (well 3 - 1 at the first boot and 2 and the second) occured before I did the chkdsk. I had my fingers crossed that I would be able to get to it.

I have two other hard drives (spare parts), one from a previous Dell that I was "told" was wiped clean before removing it from the system. I sold it for parts but the guy told me to keep that for a slave drive to add to another. My issue is I don't know the specs of it or if I can just switch it out. Having trouble finding a trustworthy place around here that could check it out w/o them suckering me into just getting a new one.

Will let you know what win32k.sys fix does.
    Thanks to you...more than I could ever say.

RegCure results...do I register for the program to fix all this? :

29 COM/Active X Entries
    1 Uninstall Entries
    1 Font Entries
    17 Shared DLLs
    8 Application Paths
    6 Help Files Info.
    20 Windows Startup Items
    941 File Path Refrences
    46 Program Shortcuts
    472 Empty Registry Keys
    12 File Associations
    Last edited by turquoise122; 07-16-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add info.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast