Default what's so wrong with Norton's?

Every computer person I communicate with almost without fail puts in a bad word for Norton's anti-virus protection. The Dell Inspiron I purchased 3 months ago came with one month free Norton's protection and I had no problems. When the time came, I subscribed for Norton's again. My question is what is it that people are talking about that they are a nuisance, inconvenient or otherwise? I have experienced no problems.

In basic terms its considered to be a huge program that is difficult to remove once installed. it uses far too much system resources for the benefit it gives, and because its one of the big names in the market, its the one that's targeted most by hackers trying to bypass it.

plus many other reasons, although for me the price is the big thing. why pay for something when you can get a good, if not better, product for free in 'Avast!'?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I totally agree with MrDarn. I might throw in the fact that because it's such a big program (they're trying to be everything to everyone) they have had their fair share of bugs. The more features you add on the more complicated the programming is. In addition throw in all the different Operating systems with their own problems and you can get a real 'bug soup'. Classic point can be made with Vista and all it's different versions. I mean, when you have to create an uninstall program above and beyond the standard one, should give the idea how cumbersome the program is. The old motto KISS (Keep it simple stupid) applies as much to software as anything else. Glad you're finding it's working well for you .. during the next year keep your eye on it and any problems. Make sure your membership with them is not set for them to automatically debit your bank card (they usually do this well in advance of the 1 year subscription date.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Canuck's right about taking your money ahead of time. After 10 months is the average! Best advice, cut your losses, uninstall, throw in trashcan and install Avast. You'll be amazed at how much quicker your PC will start up and the only time you'll hear from Avast is when you need to. That's after shutting off the voice alert, of course!!

I am a pc novice and I've used avast! for the last 3 or 4 years; very easy to use and install. Never had a problem...um, recent stop errors aside. That's a whole other nasty can of worms!

Default AVG still as good as Avast?

is the AVG program as good? and should i use both?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Yes, AVG is as good as Avast, and a definate NO to using both programs. You should only have one antivirus running at a time, otherwise they might conflict with one another and cause problems.

Default thanks

i wasn't sure if 2 anti virus programs were compatible.