Default Folder Thumbnail Question - XP

Hi all,

I have 2 external mains powered hard drives that are USB 2.0 connected to my Windows XP machine (SP3). One is a 250 GB drive and the other is 500 GB. I know one of the makes off the top of my head is Maxtor.

I have used them for a few years now, the question I have is when I create a new folder on either of these USB drives and add one video clip to that folder. If I go up a level to view that folder I created as a thumbnail, it displays that video as a preview on the folders thumbnail view.

The issue I have is that if I add another video clip to this folder, the top level thumbnail view of the folder only shows the first movie clip top left. It does not seem to update the folders thumbnail view unless I rightclick on the folder and click 'refresh' or delete the thumbnail.db file and let it create a new one.

I have tried the same process on my C drive (which is not external) and a 500MB usb drive and it updates the folders thumbnail view fine when I add or remove video clips. I have the folder option "Do not cache thumbnails" UNchecked.

Could it be that the drives are quite big and not updating that well?

Thanks for any suggestions what it could be.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

The only thing I can think of is that external HDs are slower than internal ones and perhaps the refresh rate is slower too, perhaps to the point that the refresh is canceled out, and in combination with video files that are usually quite big. Then again, it could boil down to the way you hold your tongue!!

Stay tuned for other's input.

Quote Originally Posted by sunhawk View Post

I have tried the same process on my C drive (which is not external) and a 500MB usb drive and it updates the folders thumbnail view fine when I add or remove video clips. I have the folder option "Do not cache thumbnails" UNchecked.
    i would imagine at first glance, having this option UNchecked would mean the thumbnail would be cached, and perhaps will stop the icon refreshing each time the root folder is accessed.

have you tried ticking this box and seeing the result?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Refresh rates on external drives do tend to be slightly slower than on internal ones. There are a couple of things you can try which, depending on current status, may improve the situation.

You don't say whether your drives are partitioned or not. If not, having a single 500gb partition - even 250gb - will certainly slow down the refresh rate as well as the loading of files and programs. That's because the degree of fragmentation will be over a much wider area, and if the file system is FAT32, the situation gets even worse.

Many external drives are supplied preformatted as FAT32. If yours is one of those and you haven't changed it, you should convert to NTFS. This is a non-destructive process, and will certainly help. If you want to convert, open Command Prompt and type the following

convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, where drive letter is E, type convert e: /fs:ntfs

Either way, you should run defrag regularly on such large drives. More info here.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by arraknid; 07-15-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great responses, I agree with you Canuck, I always thought it was because the drives are pretty big. I mean if my C drive and smaller USB work fine it would be a good inclin.

Mr Darn you are right, I have it unchecked which creates a local cache files for faster access of the thumbs when you go back, saves having to rebuild them each time. Having it checked does kinda solve the problem but having it rebuild the cache file each time you go back to that directory is a bit of a pain, so I normally keep it unchecked.

And yeah arraknid I believe they are both FAT32, at some point I will try to convert them with your advice and see if that helps.

Cheers guys for all the help!