Default I need help Using the recovery console

I am working on a computer which opened up this morning with a windows activation error, even though it has been working for 2 yrs.
    The message said:
    Problem prevents Windows from checking the license : Error 0x80090019

It cannot get passed that message and start the computer and does this same thing even if I try safe mode or last known good configuration.

So I opted to try using the recovery console by using the copy of xp pro upgrade which is currently loaded on that computer.

But, when using this command to get to a restore point;
    C:\Windows>CD C:\system~1\_resto~1 C:\system~1\_resto~1\>dir

It tells me this is an invalid command.
    I am trying a chkdsk /p right now to see it that helps.
    But I really could use a good solution! Either for the first logon issue or for the restore points.
    HELP!!!
    Andrea

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But, when using this command to get to a restore point;
    C:\Windows>CD C:\system~1\_resto~1 C:\system~1\_resto~1\>dir
    You are missing an ENTER command, as follows

C:\Windows>CD C:\system~1\_resto~1ENTER
    C:\system~1\_resto~1\>dir

You only need to type dir on the second line.

To be honest, I doubt that will help you. You'll probably find that the machine will reboot when you try to access the Restore Points. This problem is caused usually by a third-party program recently installed and is a really hard problem to solve. See here. Sad to say that you may need to back up all data by installing in another computer as a slave drive, copying off data, then reinstalling Windows.

You could try a Repair Install, but experience shows that only works in 10% of cases.

Good luck
    Last edited by arraknid; 07-17-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Unhappy recovery console

I neglected to type in the enter key, but I did hit it before that second half.
    I just tried it again to be sure and I got this message.
    "The system cannot file the file or directory specified"

I think this may be a hard drive issue. Although I did the chkdsk and did not discover any errors, I did note that when I was looking through help in the recovery console that many of the files appeared to be missing. Normally I have to scroll down to see the whole list, but on this computer the list ends before I need to scroll.

If anyone has any suggestions today that would be great! Otherwise I may end up putting in a new drive on Friday.
    Thanks
    Andrea