Question cannot connect to the internet

I keep getting the error message 'the port is already in use' but it is not.
    I have a dell system and I connect with people pc. I am sure I have some bugs. Please help me.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My first suggestion would be to switch off the modem/router, wait 10 seconds then switch it back on. If the problem persists, go with the following.

You don't say what connection you have, or whether it's routed through a router or a modem. The error you describe is indicative of something already using the connection, thereby blocking your access. A simple test to see if it's a resident program causing the problem is to restart the computer in Safe Mode, see here, but select Safe Mode with Networking. When Windows has loaded, try to connect to the internet. If you can connect, you'll need to find the program causing the problem. For that, you'll need to run msconfig, see here.

There's also the possibility that the connection has been hijacked by malware, in which case a thorough scan by your antivirus program is in order, followed by a scan with SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes

In the event you still have the problem, try asking PeoplePc for a replacement modem/router, though having read their track record, I wouldn't hold my breath!

Good luck.

thank you
    my connection is dial-up. A little while back I kept getting a pop up that sail malware antivirus protection...like tryin to get me to purchace it. I finally got that off using a program my husband bought called advanced system optimizer. But my real problems started when I downloaded Norton antivirus. I was really starting to believe Norton was the problem. I tried everything you suggested...no luck. Can I purchase a new port for my phone line?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When you say you downloaded Norton Antivirus, is that because you purchased the download version? On a dial-up connection would have taken forever! If you tried starting in Safe Mode as I suggested, Norton wouldn't have been running, so would not have affected your connection.

Can I purchase a new port for my phone line?
    That isn't possible!! Ports are the means by which data enters and leaves your computer. What you can do is change the dial-up modem which is resident in your computer in the form of a plug-in card. Cost of a new one is extremely low and takes around 10 minutes to fit. If you aren't confident doing it yourself, take it to your local computer shop and ask them to do the job.

This article outlines the procedure.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arraknid; 07-21-2008 at 12:40 PM.