Thread: wireless laptop

Default wireless laptop

Hi All, Could someone help me with some advice please,l have just bought a new laptop (hp530) and l would like to use it somewhere else in the house but l`m not sure what l have to buy so that all l would need to do is either use it via it`s battery or just plug in the mains, people keep telling me l need this or that or something else,at the moment l can only use it downstairs as thats where the phoneline is and l have to plug in the tiscali broadband yellow cable, on my laptop it has "wireless wlan" but l don`t know what it means,could someone help me please.
    kind regards
    jim
    ps l have vista home o/s
    Last edited by jimlee38; 07-20-2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: to add o/s

You need to purchase and install a wireless router. The incoming signal from cable or DSL connects to the router. I do not believe that a router is usable if you have dial-up internet access, though I could be mistaken. The router then is essentially a low powered transmitter that sends signals the the laptop receives. Depending on the make/model wireless router the cost would be between (approximately) $49 to $200. I would "guesstimate" about $69 for a basic Linksys Wireless N model at Walmart. Assuming you live in the states.
    EDIT: oops I see you do not live in the states, You will need to adjust the $ to pounds and pick a purchase location around Shropshire.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 12gb Ram / Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    HP w2207 Monitor / 24X Dual Layer Optical Drive / 700W PSU /
    Nvidia GeForce HD N460 1GB /...Keurig ready to brew a quick cuppa!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Jim,

The yellow cable you mention is an ethernet connection and enables a direct connection with the modem/router. As your laptop is already equipped for a wireless connection, you just need to check whether your Tiscali box is set up for wireless connections. Sometimes it's built in to the box, sometimes it's necessary to add a separate PCMCIA card. Without knowing what you have it's difficult to comment. As wireless is becoming more prevalent these days, you should have that option available to you. Check the paperwork you have from Tiscali. Also when installing, there's usually an option to install the wireless connection.
    Once that's activated, your laptop should detect the connection and ask you for an access code. That's often printed somewhere on the router. Once entered you'll be able to connect to the internet from anywhere in the house. The laptop will work just as well on mains power or battery.

Tiscali have online instructions to help set up a wireless connection here.

Hope that helps.

Hi, thank you for your kind advice.
    kind regards
    jim