Default No post / No video...Gateway Profile 5.5

downloaded incorrect VGA driver file resulting in BlueScreenOD. subsequent reboot attempts achieved full power, flashing ext applicable LED lights, internal fan function, etc. BUT without POST / VIDEO. Well perhaps POST, I just couldn't see anything (BLACK SCREEN)....no beeps to discern as well, I also downloaded incorrect audio drivers as well...yeah, I know. Other than resetting BIOS "physically" through board jumper / temp snapping on ext vid card for alt display purposes and then flashing bios negating "internal" intrusiveness............any other ideas....solutions...input. (DS GATEWAY PROFILE 5MX)

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You don't say what operating system you have but, if it's XP or Vista, your best option is to run System Restore from the Recovery Console, using your installation CD. Full details are here.

Just take it back to a point before the bad install.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the PM but, as I said, all posts should be in the thread you started. Having re-read your post again, which I found a little confusing to begin with, your problems can have only 2 possible causes - both of which are serious!

Either your mobo is fried or the processor is. There is the possibility that a badly seated processor could be at fault, but as the machine has run previously, that should be discounted.

Resetting CMOS will probably make no difference at all. If it were the cause, you would at least get POST with warning of a checksum error.

The video and audio drivers you installed would only be used when Windows loads, so would not affect POST. The fact that you only get a black screen just shows that there is no activity at start up. The screen is on but shows only the black background with no text. No beeps indicates the same thing.

PSU problems can also be discounted as you are getting some activity, particularly with the HD spinning, but there is a slight possibility that power has been lost to just the mobo. Possible but unlikely.

You can try resetting CMOS, then try another PSU, but I fear the result will be the same. The more-than-likely culprit is your mobo.

Hope that helps.