Smile Windows XP OS for pc builders

Hello,
    My child has a pc that was built by a local guy who puts them together from parts. A frankenstien I call it. He sold it to me with Windows XP Professional in it but turns out it was just a copy. I've had no problems with it, all it's used for is games and internet games. But I have never been able to update Windows because it's not a valid copy.
    My question is:

#1 If I purchase Windows XP Software w/ a valid license, what is the difference between a retail product and one "made for pc builders?"

#2 Aside from the price difference that is because the pc builder one is way less expensive, would I be able to use that to re-foramt the pc with the new software?

#3 Any links you can supply on steps to change the OS would be helpful.
    Thank you.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The OEM version is exactly the same as the retail version only without the packaging, manuals, etc. Also, OEM versions of XP often don't need to be activated over the internet.

If you purchase the XP Pro version, you'll be able to Upgrade thereby keeping all settings and files. The Home version won't allow you to do that and will need a clean install.

Your Windows Update will work with the version you have, though will only download Critical Updates.

Woopsie! I meant to say I want to buy Windows XP Media Center edition to put over/replace the copy of XP Pro! Make a difference?

Blog Entries

It may be a problem as XP MCE is a sort of hybrid version of XP Home with the media stuff added in. Unless you specifically want the media stuff, stick to XP Pro. It might be worth backing your files up before taking the plunge!

I do want the Media Center Edition; I've been trying to fgure out a "clean install." Talked to Microsoft and they said I needed a Genuine Windows Advantage Kit - but that was to license the Pro. version that is on it now. When I made my point on the MCE the rep told me to call Microsoft Pre-Sales Info. Just wondering if this will do the same as what they will sell me.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116049
    Gracias!

Is there any reason other than the Windows Media Centre application for purchasing the MCE of XP. I have heard only bad things about that piece of software, mainly regarding memory usage, stability and compatibility issues. If the computer is powerful enough I would recommend getting Vista Home Premium (or ultimate if you can afford it) instead as the Vista Media Centre version is much better.

On the other hand there are a few good free programs that have the same (and often more) functionality of Media Centre. Have a look at:

Media Portal:
    http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

or GB-PVR:
    http://www.gbpvr.com/

Be wary of the Microsoft sales team as I would suspect then to try and sell you the retail version of the product and probably Vista. The only real 'advantage' of the retail product is that you are entitled to Microsoft help and support although the great resources like Help2Go online these days make this serveice pretty much redundant.

I've never had any problems with XP MCE and ironically hear only bad things about Vista. I don't think the pc I want to put it on will support Vista anyway. I really need an OS that can be updated though so if that previous link will work then let me know and any tips on what I need to do to install it inplace of or over the current OS would be helpful.
    Thank you.

Windows XP MCE is effectively Windows XP Home Edition with the Media Centre 2005 application built in and a new skin. This means that the operating system (the normal bit that handles all your applications like Word, Firefox etc.) will be the same as XP Home Edition. It has the same Kernal and the same driver set etc.

On a slight aside I think Vista has gotten a lot of bad press. I don't think it is as bad as people think it is and with the recent release of SP1 a lot of these bugs were fixed. There are a few reasons to go for Vista over XP but I wont get into those now, XP will be supported for a while yet and requires less resources so is probably the way to go for you.

What I was refering to in my original post was the Media Centre application that they revamped for Vista, it is now a lot better. I have known people that could not run the 2005 version in XP MCE due to it being just too slow and crashing all the time. That is why I pointed out the two free alternatives that may suppliment whatever version of XP you choose if you find you have problems with Media Centre 2005 or decide to go with XP Home or Pro. I was trying to save you a bit of money.

I like to feel I am impartial on the Vista issue as I am primerily a Mac user although have XP and Vista and use them for various jobs.

On installing a new OS I would allways do a complete erasure of the hard disk first which means backing up nay documents, videos, music etc. that you want to keep on to an external hard disk or DVD's etc. The installation procedure itself is pretty simple, just insert the disk and follow the onscreen prompts. You want to choose NTFS as the file file system and I recomend having two partitions, one for the OS and the other for all your media but this choice will depend on the size of the drive. If you have any problems or questions during or after install just start a new thread here and I'm sure you will recieve all the help you need.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turquoise122 View Post
    I do want the Media Center Edition; I've been trying to fgure out a "clean install." Talked to Microsoft and they said I needed a Genuine Windows Advantage Kit - but that was to license the Pro. version that is on it now. When I made my point on the MCE the rep told me to call Microsoft Pre-Sales Info. Just wondering if this will do the same as what they will sell me.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116049
    Gracias!
    That looks fine. Just be sure to take heed of the installation process, as detailed on that page, which is somewhat complex to say the least.

As for Vista - give it a year!