Default Stop programs at startup

Hello
    Can someone please tell me what programs are safe for me to stop from starting up as running window XP home and is very slow starting up and closing down computer. I know how to go into S.C.U but don't no what ticks to take out .

other thing is thinking about starting up a webpage if put it with google and other search engines how do i get it to go to top of page when people search for me do i have to wait for a million hits to get to top or is there a program that i need to install to pull me up there. Sorry am a new girl to all this computer stuff so with peoples help here I hope to learn thank-you.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I can only answer your first question, another member, I'm sure will pick up on the second question.

In order to find out what is needed or not, I suggest you use Castlecops startup information. Just type in the .exe or .dll into the box and see what they have to say about it.

You will get a status rating on the item, here's the key:

KEY:

"Y" - Normally leave to run at start-up (unless you know for sure that you don't need it running, leave it)
    "N" - Not required - typically infrequently used tasks that can be started manually if necessary (for sure untick the box)
    "U" - User's choice - depends whether a user deems it necessary (in my opinion, most of the time very few of these user's choice need to be running. They can usually be easily accessed either through All Programs or a shortcut on your desktop .. my rule of thumb .. keep anti virus, firewall, auto detect CD/DVD (Nero), and if you have a laptop with touch pad mouse the program to run this ... the rest uncheck. See how it goes for you, you can always go back in and check the box.).
    "X" - Definitely not required - typically viruses, Spyware, adware and "resource hogs" ( if you come across any X's or ?'s don't do anything, this is when you run a program like Highjackthis and post a log to the Spyware Forum and get expert advice).
    "?" - Unknown (as above)

Here's Castlecop's address http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html .

Feel free to ask us any questions about your findings .. keep us posted.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

other thing is thinking about starting up a webpage if put it with google and other search engines how do i get it to go to top of page when people search for me do i have to wait for a million hits to get to top or is there a program that i need to install to pull me up there. Sorry am a new girl to all this computer stuff so with peoples help here I hope to learn thank-you.
    The real answer to that is, unless you have a unique product or service, and the searcher enters the correct search criteria in the box, you have little or no chance of topping the search listings. Unfortunately, the only way to guarantee that is to pay for it. If your webpage is about you and you have provided sufficient search tags, your friends should find you. Having an unusual name will also help. Try entering your name in Google and see how many results you get. The last time I tried it, I got more than 500,000!!

Depending on how you plan to create the webpage, there are ways to optimise your webpage and make it 'search engine friendly'. Good use of keywords is important. This page will explain. There are free tools that will create a keyword list for you as well as meta tags. This page offers free tutorials and lots of free utilities to ensure your webpage has as much chance as anyone elses of getting high up in the search results.

When you've built the page, submit it here and get a free analysis of how to improve it even more.

There are many companies selling software that supposedly gets you good search rankings, as well as submitting to 100's of search engines. Don't bother, they can't possibly guarantee everyone the same result. A bit of homework and a few hours work will get you listed in most search engines for free.

Good luck.