Default restore factory settings on dell

i have a dell dimension 4550 and a few days ago i got a error when starting up so i put in a windows xp disk and tried to recover but it said i needed a floppy disk that i didn't have. so i installed xp from the disk. But it formatted my hard drive and it had an error and didn't install properly. i want to know how to do a full system restore. I have tried ctrl + f11 but it did not work. It says error loading operating system. And i do not have the original disk.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you tried to do a reinstall with a disk that was not the original Dell one, you will certainly have problems. Dell install disks are either specific to the machine or access the installation files that are located in a hidden partition of your hard drive.

Your best bet is to totally wipe the hard drive and reformat it. There is a free utility that will do just that called Killdisk. Download the ISO version and burn to a CD.

Also bear in mind that if your copy of XP is a retail version, you'll have to activate it, so make sure it's legal.

the only operating system i have is damn small linux.

I dont know how to burn iso's on it.

Blog Entries

Go here and download the file PowerISO for Linux which will burn the ISO image to a CD. It's a trial program but will do the job.

i dont know how to run programs in linux.

and the only disks i have are rewritables, but my DVD drive cant erase disks

Blog Entries

There's a limit to how much we can do for you. You have all of the info you need, but if you can't use the Linux machine, or you can't burn a disk, you should find someone with XP installed on their machine and ask them to burn the disk for you.