Default Keeping email address

If on dial up (payg)& move to another provider with broadband will I be able to still keep my (payg)email address. Any help in this matter please, due to high amount of Stationary with email address printed on header.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In general yes. Your email box is situated online and can usually be accessed from any connection. In other words, if for instance, you use an ISP that offers you a mailbox (email address), if you were on holiday, you could access that mailbox via any connection, e.g. a cybercafe, just by going to the ISP's webpage and clicking on Mail or something similar.

If, at the moment, you are using a program like Outlook or Outlook Express, when you open it, the program goes online to that mailbox and brings back anything it finds. In essence, it works like a postman.

In 90% of cases, when you change ISP, that mailbox remains in place and accessible - but not always! That's why many people use online services like Gmail which are always accessible, no matter what ISP you use or where you are in the world.

It all comes down to your existing ISP's policy, but if you use a dial-up connection, I'd say you'll be OK because you don't have a contract with them.

Default thanks very much

Thank You Arraknid for your help, I was hoping this was the case, It's for my place of work which they were asking me if I could find out for them, I was unsure but thinking about it this sounds about right with them only having a pay as you go dialup there would be no need to tell this provider that we have moved onto broadband with another provider. (BT dial up to Tiscali Brordband).
    Many thanks again for your help
    Stewpat41