Default changing executables?

hey guys,

i've read some time ago that some viruses corrupt programs by changing the registry settings of the executable ... i've also read that it is possible to change the executables to .exe to .com and that it would prevent viruses from corrupting the aforementioned program(i.e : Norton AV)

Enlight me please

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I haven't heard of that, it's possible I guess, but personally I think it would be a hassle. You'd have to change the extension every time you wanted to use the program. A good firewall, antivirus program and good housekeeping practices should ward off any virus attacks.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Changing the file type suffix of an executable will make it unrecognisable to your system. So, if you rename your antivirus program, you'll get an error message telling you it couldn't be located and you'll be left unprotected.

If you have a firewall in place (the Windows one is fine), keep your antivirus definitions up to date, and regularly run an anti-malware program like SuperAntiSpyware or Spybot, you won't have a problem.

Hope that helps.

another point to the theory...

if it was as simple as changing from .exe to .com, the viri writers would pick up on such a simple change and write it in anyways.

good advice above.

Blog Entries

There you go Savagesarge, consider yourself enlightened.

I am indeed, thank you to all

But question: Why won't my system recognize the executable? Because it was installed and a key was written in the registry mentioning it was an .exe not a .com?Then is there anyway you could change the registry / installer so that it would run the program as a .com?

Blog Entries

Windows works using a set of predetermined 'rules'. When dealing with files, it needs to properly identify what type of file it is, and then, using it's set of 'rules', it knows what to do with it. It's called file association. For example, if you click on a .exe file, it will 'execute' the file and run the program. If you click on a .jpg file, it knows that it has to start the default image program, another executable, and load the .jpg file into it. Clicking on a .zip file will open the default decompression program and load the file contents, and so on.

The .com suffix is used within Windows by the DOS operating system, which is what you see when you launch the Command Prompt, so when you click on a file with a .com suffix, Windows will launch a DOS window. If the file is an executable in disguise, the system will then tell you the file isn't compatible.

Bottom line, stick to the 'rules'. If you start to change them, for no real reason, your system will very quickly grind to a halt.

I see... well thank you very much for the prompt answer