Thread: Yahoo rip off

Default Yahoo rip off

Hi. I have a Yahoo email account. This morning when I went to sign in, before it would allow me to get to my Inbox, a pop-up box said " would you like a Yahoo toobar, check it out. " I clicked No. Well, it didn't take no for an answer. It kept popping up and I couldn't get to my Inbox. I exited the whole thing and signed in again, and there it was again. So I clicked on "continue, continue, continue" and after all that clicked on " no thanks."

Well it wasn't enough, I still couldn't get to my Inbox. There were boxes popping up all over, "do you want to text message, do you want....do you want....." I clicked No , No, No. Finally, my Inbox? Well, it was four inches high, not a full page like it usually is. When I tried to scroll down the email list whirred by, I couldn't slow it down. A box said," want to view the whole page? Want to view all your messages? Click here. I did. They want $19.95 in order for me to be able to view the full page of my Inbox.

I don't know if there's any way to get back to the type of page set-up I had before. All I can say is that I don't think Yahoo thinks much of their members. Yahoo is making more than enough money with their ads on their Homepage, and on the email account displays already. They don't need to add rip off to the list.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just signed in to my Yahoo account without any problem. Have you tried turning on the pop-up blocker in whatever browser you are using?

Coincidentally, Yahoo charge $19.95 per year for using their POP mail service, which means you can send and receive mail using a mail client like Outlook, so I wonder if there's something strange going on there.

Have you tried logging in to your mail via another Yahoo site. Here are a couple of english language ones...

http://uk.yahoo.com/

http://au.yahoo.com/

Strange, i also have a yahoo email account and i access my email free of charge and with no problems.

i'm thinking perhaps a browser hijack is causing the webpage your trying to access to be detoured to a fake site trying to get money from you.

of course i may be wrong, as i dont often use yahoo!

i would suggest you take the steps located --->here<--- and possibly even submit a hijack this log to our spyware guys!

Thank you for your replies. I found out what the problem was. Yahoo, also unasked, decided to change my Yahoo account from Yahoo Classic to Yahoo Plus and with Yahoo Plus the Inbox messages are four inches high, etc.

While waiting for a reply on this forum I searched all over the page I was on trying to find some way to contact Yahoo and happened to click on "Options" and one of the options was " Do you like Yahoo Plus? Do you want to switch back to Yahoo Classic?" I didn't know what I had actually, I just knew I didn't want what I had now so I clicked on Yahoo Classic and the page adjusted and went back to what I had before.

Thank you again for your quick response.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Thanks for giving us the solution to the problem. If this is how Yahoo is doing it, and if they charge for the new feature (called negative billing) I'm sure we'll be getting more frustrated Yahoo users.