Default some web images blocked??

Hello all (yes, I know .... long time no see. Sorry about that.)

I am experiencing trouble viewing images on certain sites. This isn't something I'm confident with knowing what I'm doing.

I go to the catalogue site jdwilliams.co.uk and all I see is the text. No images. Thus .....

Also this site is painfully slow to buffer/play the video ....

http://www.dumpalink.com/videos/Inst...ista-87b3.html

..... and all the images(at the top of the screen and to the right of the video) are showing as broken.

I use Firefox 2.0.0.16 (not v3 yet), I've cleared the cache, rebooted several times, defragged, turned off Adblock, AdblockPlus, Adblock filterset. I reset the about:config pipelining tweak (used to speedup FF loading) as I know it's not supported by some sites. No change.

My Firefox options are set to allow/load images automatically with no exceptions.

When I try to view jdwilliams in IE I am informed there is a runtime exception. When I use debug I get the message that images from the site are somehow blocked.

What I can't figures is how they are blocked and how to fix it. This hasn't happened in the past and the site works fine on our other networked PC. I've tried to compare the set up of two PCs but the differences are so great as to make the job impractical.

I can't think of anything new added this PC which would have triggered this problem.

I'm on XP Home, SP2 (not SP3 yet), 2GB RAM + typical office, AV, antispyware programs etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated. I have spent enough time trying to fix this myself without success and am now banging my head against a brick wall.

OJ
    PLEASE DONATE. Help keep our site alive without ads.

Help keep your computer protected. Read this > http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

Hi Oddjob, like you I have only recently made a return to Help2Go.
    I know this probably isn't the answer you are looking for but why not install Firefox 3 and see if that helps the problem. It really is much, much better than 2 in every way and will automatically update all your add-ons if possible to maintain compatibility with it maintaining all functionality.

If you really don't want to I can offer some points for thought.
    The fact that the site is only displayed as plain text and not just leaving boxes where the images should be means there s a problem loading the CSS to style the page. Although this wont necessarily affect the issue have you checked that JavaScript is enabled in preferences as sometimes this is used to load/change CSS.

Another thing to check is the style sheet applied using the firefox preference at 'View/Page Style'. Basic page style should be checked.

Do all other web pages load quickly as if there is a connection problem the site may be timing out and not getting to download the appropriate CSS for the page.

that's probably the css version of the page that's not valid with the current version of your browser... but you say it's also doing an unhandled exception on IE... weird... as the one before me adequately said, you should upgrade to firefox 3.

Hi OJ. Both sites loaded for me but they were both slow. It looks to me to be the low-fi version of the website. The only times I've seen this before has been when the website itself was having connection issues, on mobile browsers, and some wireless connections. It could be that its loading so slowly that its timing out.

Also possibly check your hosts file. If you've run spybot at all sometimes it adds a list of things to be blocked in the hosts, possibly the domains the images are hosted on could be blocked in there?
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Hello chaps

Thanks for the replies. Well, wahdda y'know? I reckon the machine knew it had been reported to H2G.

I go out for a meeting this morning (computer left on) ... return this afternoon ... guess what ... I can see the jdwilliams site just fine and the dumpalink video is still slow to buffer/load but all the images are back.

Weird or what?

Yea ... I'll probably do the FF3 thing when I have time. now it's settled down.

Cheers for now.

OJ

EDIT >> Argh .... logged out of jdwilliams, re-entered the site and all the images have gone again.
    Last edited by Oddjob; 07-30-2008 at 08:51 AM.

Help keep your computer protected. Read this > http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

Update >> I've upgraded to FF3 but it hasn't made any difference. All images in both those sites are still blocked.

I've checked all the aspects mentioned by all of you but they are OK. Nothing untoward there. Java is permitted, View page style is "basic" and spybot doesn't seem to be causing trouble.

I've tried some random sites that wouldn't be cached and all the images are fine.

I'm still a bit spooked as to why it worked fine this afternoon - just once - then it reverted to lost images again. Odd.

I'll try Ccleaner.

OJ

OK. so I got to the bottom of one problem.

Mich ... you had the idea. The images at JDWilliams are hosted by a site that is blocked by K9, the children's browsing protection program I use. I went into K9 and told it to "allow" the images and JDW worked.

Not so much luck with the other site but I'm thinking that maybe I don't want those images. I think they will all be ad related from rubbish servers/sites anyway.

So I'll leave it at that for now. Hopefully the problems won't happen at other sites I visit.

Glad you figured it out

Yes, the other site images that you said weren't loading were just 'buttons' to click for live chat anyways. Not missing much at all unless you want to watch and chat with 'rachelsterling' 'notkat' et al. They do look quite attractive though... *rolls eyes*
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone