Default Hard Drive Physical Failure

I have an IQon 500gb external HDD. The other day it made some very disturbing whirring noise. Now it is not recognised by any pc. When it is turned on it has a clear buzzing or beeping noise..like an alarm or warning sound, not a 'trying to work sound'.

I think it is a physical problem and the data is still untouched. Are there places in the UK wher i can send it to have it mended? not have the data recovered and a new one, but just simply mended?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You don't say if you have a laptop or desktop, if it's the latter there is something you can try. All external drives are simply internal drives in a case with a power supply and USB interface. If you can remove the drive from the case, try installing it in your desktop computer as a Slave drive - or indeed in someone else's if they'll let you. If it isn't recognised and it's still making noises, I'm afraid it's one for the bin!

I'm not aware of any companies that'll repair a hard drive. It isn't a viable option. Besides, any attempt to repair it will probably corrupt the drive contents. There are companies that will extract data - if it's accessible, but costs are astronomic. The last time I had to send one away, maybe 5 years ago, it cost around 300. If the contents are indeed irreplaceable, then that's your option. Otherwise, it's start again and consider investing in backup software.

Good luck.

hmm, bad news then. It's a desktop. i had it open but i'm not technically minded.

This is not fun times.

Cheers for the help!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As I said, see if you can find someone to help you pop it into your desktop. It will show whether the problem lies with the drive or the interface.

Just thort i'd post incase someone else had prblems...

I opened up the external drive and connected the hard drive internaly through sata. The alarm/buzzing was still there.

I will try and send it to Hitachi and hopefully get it repaired!!