Default Using system recovery disks

I am thinking about reformatting the hard drive and reloading windows in my daughters computer. It is running windows xp and has several issues. ]

She has downloaded every game known to mankind and even tho they have been deleted there are bits and pieces stuck everywhere. That however isn't the only problem she is having with it.

My question is will some of the memory be freed up after reinstalling windows?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    shirl

that depends on a few things.

firstly is what you mean by 'memory'.

Memory is often confused with disk space, people thinking their files are saved 'in memory' where they are actually saved to disk.actual memory is what the processor uses to store data as it processes it, before wiping it to store more, thousands of times a second.

If it is disk space you want to free up, then this depends on the type of reinstall. theres 2 main types. destructive and recovery.

1, destructive reinstalation of windows will free up harddisk space, as it wipes everything, then just reinstalls the operating system. all the computers updates, programs which have been added over the years and all the files you once had will be gone.

2, a recovery instalation 'usually' just reinstals the operating system, leaving all other files intact. you will see a slight difference in disk space, but not much.

either way you will need to download and install alot of windows updates to patch the computer again.

if its physical memory you are after, there is a possibility that these old games etc. have left parts that are still trying to access your pc's memory, and this could be slowing things down.

if this is the case, you have 2 main choices again

1, a destructive reinstall as above, but i would first try:

2, following the steps outlined --->HERE<---

( http://www.help2go.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99853 )

good luck with whatever you decide, and please let us know how you got on!

Thanks MrDarn,

I was actually talking about the destructive reinstallation. I actually followed the steps you show in the above post step 2 a few weeks ago and it did help a little. The computer seems to be fast enough, it is just so many little things like not being able to defrag, add remove programs seems corrupted. These are just a couple of the little bugs that I can't seem to correct no matter what. There are things in add/remove programs that I don't even know what it is. Some can't be removed, some don't even give the option of removing, and it isn't the updates. some programs that are installed and working on the computer don't show up as even being there.

Again thanks for the help.
    shirl