Default re instaleed windows now pc cant detect router

Hello,

I have just had to re install Windows XP now my PC cant detect the router or cable to my Netgear router any ideas on how to fix this ?

Checked all the cables.all lights are green except the one for the internet there is no colour there at all.No drivers on disk that came with it so cant re-install them.
    Last edited by stevvek; 08-05-2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: not enough infor given first time round

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

It looks as though you have Internet access, so go to http://kbserver.netgear.com/main.asp and see if there's a driver for your model, or perhaps one of the articles will help. Simply download driver and save to disk, copy driver to your PC and access and install it.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevvek View Post
    Hello,

I have just had to re install Windows XP now my PC cant detect the router or cable to my Netgear router any ideas on how to fix this ?

Checked all the cables.all lights are green except the one for the internet there is no colour there at all.No drivers on disk that came with it so cant re-install them.
    You don't say whether the router is connected via USB or ethernet cable, or what model it is. If USB, as Canuck suggests, download the drivers. If there are none present on the disk, it may be that you have an 'ethernet only' model. Go to Device Manager and see if you have an ethernet controller installed under Network Adapters. If not, you'll need to install it via the motherboard installation disk. If the computer was prebuilt, you'll need to go to either the motherboard manufacturer's site for the driver, or the computer manufacturer's site.

If the ethernet controller is present, and there isn't a red cross on it denoting it's been disabled (in which case you just re-enable it), you may need to reinstall/update the driver anyway.