Default pc in boot up loop

when my pc was shutting down to restart, it comes up, F8 only gets me a screen asking to start windows 2000 nt and when I hit key, it says starting windows at bottom and then cycles off and restarts all over again, never starting up windows! I watched it recycle for an hour and I can't get it to offer to open in safe mode! I'm stumped... any ideas?

sounds like either a harddrive failure or dodgy IDE lead. does the pc beep at all during this startup?

if so, is it one short beep or a seris? and what is the pattern?

do you have another computer you could download a diagnostic utility to disk on? i'm assuming you have as you posted this message!

Default reply

yes it beeps, but I think it's only once, and yes, I can download a program. Thanks for replying, I'm at the extent of my knowledge.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sure MrDarn won't mind me pointing you to this site. To make sense of the beep codes, you'll need to know who created your BIOS. You should see that at POST on the very top line. If you have a large image, ala HP or DELL, you can go into BIOS by holding down DEL key or sometimes F2 as soon as you see the image.