Thread: Recovery cd`s

Default Recovery cd`s

Hi All, Would it be possible for some advice please, l`ve just bought a second user computer and would like to make a set of recovery cd`s just in case something happens could someone tell me how l do this please, l have windows XP Pro with service pack 3 and has a COA on it and have been downloading windows updates.
    kind regards
    jim

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Jim,

I'll assume from what you say that everything is legal. My question is, do you have the original Windows installation disk or a manufacturer's installation disk?

If not, you could have a problem. XP has a utility called Recovery Console that allows the user to carry out various tasks outside the Windows environment, but the only way to access RC is to insert the XP installation disk. If the machine is something like a DELL or an HP, they come with their own disk which can either contain the XP installation data combined with all necessary drivers for installed hardware at point of manufacture, or which accesses the same data stored on a hidden partition of your hard drive.

An additional problem is that, unless the installation disk contains the same version of the OS installed - in other words, if you only have a disk containing XP Pro SP1 or 2, you won't be able to carry out a Repair Install that'll save all your files and settings, just a clean install meaning you lose all data. That's because your current installed version is SP3.

There are ways around the problem but, first, can you confirm what you have or don't have?

Default Re-Recovery cd`s

Hi arraknid, Thank you for posting a reply message, l bought the computer from a company that refurbishes computers they did register it with windows website my xp pro coa is all legal and registered and l have been downloading updates my xp pro has service pack 3 and my computer is made by a company called stone and is a pentium4 but other than that l don`t know anything else about it so would be grateful for any advice.
    kind regards
    jim

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did they supply any disks at all?

Have a look in your start menu, all programs for something along the lines of 'recovery manager' or 'pc security and backup' 'pc help and tools' or something along those lines. in one of those folders should be a utility to create a restore disk for your computer, depending on the manufacturer. only some come with this utility, and its named differently on each one.

unfortunatly, if the disk has already been created, you probably will not be able to make another, although there is a way around that if the utility is there in the first place.

have a scout about, and see if you can see anything. let us know what you find

Default Many Thanks

Hi arraknid,mr darn,
    Just calling to say thank you for all your advice, l`ve been able to get the company to send me the recovery cd`s as they had forgot to put them in with the base unit, again thank you for your help.
    kind regards
    jim