Default System Restore issue on Compaq Presario running Windows XP

First-time poster in need of help before brain explodes.

This all started a few days ago. I was running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop when I downloaded the following Windows updates: KB900485 and KB920872, in an attempt to make a game work. What it did instead was freeze my computer, forcing me to restart it. I'm not sure why, or if I lacked the proper .Net Framework, or what. When I restarted, XP failed to boot up, giving me a blue screen that said Windows had been forced to shut down to prevent damage to my computer. Rebooting in Safe Mode and Last Known Configuration didn't work either. Compaq included a System Recovery option that would recover the operating system and all the important stuff on the hard drive from a recovery partition, while leaving my files intact. I tried that. Didn't work.

Then I started getting the "windows/system32/config/system missing or corrupt" message. The only XP CD I have is one that came with a Dell desktop that was bought way back in 2001--I did have a recovery disk for the Compaq, but couldn't find it. So I used the Recovery Console to try to repair XP on the laptop. Didn't work. Since I couldn't get it booted up at all, I bade farewell to my data on the Compaq and reinstalled XP by formatting the drive, using the Dell CD. So now it boots up. Yay. New problem.

Since I reinstalled XP off the Dell CD, my copy of XP is circa 2001 or so, which I think is before even Service Pack 1. The Compaq came from the factory installed with a wireless card, but now it is lacking the necessary software and drivers, along with a whole lot of other stuff, including the aforementioned System Recovery feature. As a result, no wifi, and not much of anything else. I've had System Restore turned on all this time, but all of the restore files are on the recovery partition and when I follow the tutorials here that use those files, I can't find anything entitled "_registry_machine_system" and can't rewrite the "System Volume Information/system" file.

So. Can I get this thing back to the factory defaults, and how? Is there anything in this saga I posted above that would help or that I should never do again or something? Or would I just be better off switching to a different OS (I have Ubuntu, but can't get the Wifi working in it, although that's another story altogether)?

Here is the driver information maybe download some drivers using a computer that will connect to the internet and take it from there

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228

zep

Compaq and HP computers usually come with a separate partition on the hard drive that has all of the info needed to return the computer to like the day it was purchased. It is typically 5 to 7 GB on a FAT32 partition. If you didn't erase it, it should still be there. There is a possibility that the it was deleted during the reinstall from the Dell CD. Info on how to do a recovery from that partition is here:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...en#bph07145_cp

The restore points you mention were saved on the C drive and were definitely erased during the reinstall. If the recovery partition is gone, try the driver downloads suggested by Zep. There may be an issue with some drivers because the computer O/S thinks it is a Dell and the drivers are expecting Compaq. The most important driver to get working is the network driver so that you get internet access. Once you have access, the computer will find much of what it needs by itself. You may want to hook it up by ethernet cable until you get the wireless going.

Charlie

Okay! So I finally have this thing up and running--I ordered a recovery CD from HP. Thanks for the help.

The problem I have now is with my mouse touchpad. The scroll wheel doesn't work, and it's driving me nuts. It's a Synaptics TouchPad V5.10 on PS/2 Port, and I've updated the drivers with no success. Any ideas?