Question Hack My Own Computer

Okay, I'm in a pickle. I'm a college graduate with a computer that used to be on the school network. It's mine, but in order to use it while I was in school, I had to give up my admin rights if I wanted it on the network. Now that I've graduated, I want to get back my full superadmin privledges. Any idea how I can do this without wiping the entire system? That's not really an option for me as I have many files that I need to keep intact.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Can't understand why your college wanted Admin rights, but the bottom line for us is that we aren't in a position to advise on getting around password protection. This is for the protection of all, there's no point in passwords if you tell people how to get around them. We don't know if the computer has been stolen, or if someone is attempting to access information that they're not supposed to.

In your case, I suggest you back up all your files (if they're this important, you should have this done anyway) and then reformat your hard drive with your backup or operating disks.

If you have other questions, we'd be more than happy to assist you. If you're determined to get around the password, there maybe a chance that a google search would help.

Wink Two Things

One, if it were stolen, I probably wouldn't have an admin account. Especially as they can only be created by the superadmin.

As to why my school wanted an admin account, is that I'm in the military. They do that stuff.

Two, if you don't want to help me for reasons of 3rd party's using the info inappropriately, this should help. Any other users willing to help should contact:

(edit out address) canuck
    Last edited by Canuck; 08-13-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

joedirty99504, thanks for replying, but our answer is still the same. It's our site's policy and we're not going to assist anyone getting around passwords. If you've found a way to to it, go for it. Happy computing

(edit out .. we do not respond to e-mail requests, in addition, putting your address on in an public forum opens you up to spammers. Please respect this request, thanks). Canuck

If anyone can help.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Canuck; 08-13-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

Contact the school. If they put the restrictions on your computer, they will help you take them off.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Exclamation School

I tried contacting the school. Instead of helping, they hung up on me. I contacted the guy's supervisor, but I'm not getting anywhere. I think the password for the superuser is the same now at the school as it is on my computer. I don't think they want to risk giving it up.

Let me clarify the request. I'm not trying to break the password. I'm not trying to break into encrypted files. I have access to the computer as an admin (clearly, as the computer I'm typing on is the one I want to access). I just want to be able to change some protected settings (like the time it takes to activate screen savers, get rid of initial login screens, add users so they don't see MY password, etc.). Can I delete the superuser file or replace it? Any others who have used the computer previously can be deleted. Just not my files.

I have other graduate classmates with the same problem and so far nobody's been able to figure out a way to get around these nuisances (pardon the spelling error) without deleting all their personal files.

As to the admin:

I understand the policy and respect the reasoning behind it, but please consider the following:

1) I'm not using a stolen computer. I'll give you the serial number for the sucker and any personal info if you don't believe me. C'mon. As posted, I'm not seeking access to others' files and I'm not trying to sell a stolen computer (I would just wipe the thing using a XP disc if I was).

2) Don't worry about spam, I'm separating the address with spaces to protect the account. And it's a junk account anyway

joedirty 99504 @hotmail. com

Thank you everyone for the help and advice!
    Last edited by joedirty99504; 08-13-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Correction

As Canuck has stated, Help2Go does not help with cracking password protection. A password is placed for a reason and needs to be removed by the party that placed it there in the first place. If the files were created while attending that school through their network, the school feels it is their information- who are we to say they are wrong?

This has been H2Gs policy for years.

Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by joedirty99504 View Post
    ...I have access to the computer as an admin (clearly, as the computer I'm typing on is the one I want to access). I just want to be able to change some protected settings (like the time it takes to activate screen savers, get rid of initial login screens, add users so they don't see MY password, etc.). Can I delete the superuser file or replace it? Any others who have used the computer previously can be deleted. Just not my files.

I have other graduate classmates with the same problem and so far nobody's been able to figure out a way to get around these nuisances (pardon the spelling error) without deleting all their personal files.

joedirty 99504 @hotmail. com
    I'm quite confused here. In the first part of the quoted text you mention that you are an admin on the computer. Were you just restating that you own the computer or is the username that you logon with a member of the administrators group? If it's the second then what's the problem? Windows is not Linux, it doesn't have a "superuser" account perse. It only knows "administrators" and "users" (for the sake of this post). No one administrator is higher than the other besides the fact it's rather difficult to delete the built-in windows administrator account. If your username is an administrator on the machine then change what you want and delete whatever username you wish from the list of users in the "user accounts" control panel applet. Also, which flavor of XP is this, Home or Pro?

On the other side, the only things that I can think of that would cause the issue you're facing is that you joined a domain (or they made you join a domain). If that's the case then you face rights (or the lack thereof) of unjoining the domain and then that's where the Domain Admin comes into play. The other thing being 3rd party/military proprietary software that I have yet to see.

There are ways that you can unjoin a domain without being a domain admin but until I receive a response I will have to decline in giving up that info.

Have a great night and good luck!