Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default saving emails to folders

Have not been able to find how to do this, though trying several "how to do it" instructions from several sources. Usually they refer to Outlook Express; I use the Hotmail email program. (eMachines T5088,Vista Home Basic, Hard drive 80GB, Ram 1.49GB).

Friends trying to help, who are using XP say it is quite simple with their OS, but I'm not able to find on Vista the same how-to instructions they are using, like "send to." The copy and paste method suggested also did not work for me. Any help is appreciated. --Aldo

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Download the free Windows Live Mail program from here. Once you have it installed and you've added your account name and password, all of your online mail will be downloaded to your computer. Once there, you can use the Export to file command (under File, Import and Export).

The copy and paste method suggested also did not work for me
    The Copy and Paste function is universal and applies to all computer operating systems and programs. Right clicking on a text area will give you a Select All option. Click on it and repeat the process to click on Copy. Now open your wordprocessing program - the included Wordpad utility is easiest, and righ click on the open page and select Paste. Then just Save to where you want it.

Good luck.

arraknid,
    Thanks for your reply. The instructions couldn't have been clearer, but neither method suggested worked for me. Thought that if I detail what I did, you would be able to spot what I'm not doing right.

After downloading the Windows Live Mail program, I opened the email I wanted to save to a folder and then selected the File/Import and Export command. I was asked to choose an action: Import Favorites/Export Favorites (the others listed: cookies and feeds seemed not to apply). I selected Export Favorites. In the next window to appear, I'm asked to select which folder to export from and under "Favorites" the following options seemed to be the only ones that would apply: Links, Microsoft Websites, MSN Websites, New folder, Windows Live. I selected New folder and clicked NEXT. I'm then told to select where I want my favorite exported to. Two options are listed: Export to an application, and Export to a file or address. I selected file or address. (There was a browse button but it did not seem helpful. When I clicked Finish, they would "Export the favorite to C\users\Aldo\Documents\book." Nothing. Could the problem be that I needed to make the email a favorite item before this can work? If so, how is this done?

I also tried the copy and paste method. I copied and pasted the email to Notepad, the wordprocessing program on my Home Basic Vista, as you suggested. Then selected File/Save and got the SAVE AS window. With Desktop showing in the title slot and the folder I want to use to store the email also showing, I typed this folder's name in the File Name slot and clicked SAVE. The SAVE AS window appears and I'm told the folder is empty. Sounds like it should have worked, but I must be missing a step or two that probably is so obvious I missed it. --Aldo

Blog Entries

Check out this page. It'll explain in detail how to export your mail. You want the Messages section towards the bottom.

Don't use Notepad, it isn't suitable for standard text files. Use Wordpad. You'll find that in your Accessories folder in All Programs

When the Save as... window opens showing Desktop and you see the folder you want to save into, double click the folder to open it. Make sure you've named the file you are saving, maybe the name of the person that sent it, or maybe a date, then click on Save. Job done.

I think I better drop the Export method and concentrate on the other: the copy and paste method. But it seems I have to use Notepad, which appears not only in the START menu, but in the Accessories folder.

When the SAVE AS window showing Desktop opened, with the folder in the right panel already named with the email I want to store, I went to the File Name slot and typed in the email folder's name. Below this was another window in which I selected "Webpage complete" instead of the visible "Web Archive" from among the others there, none of which
    seemed appropriate. I then double clicked the folder and it appeared alone in the right hand panel. I then clicked SAVE and was told "The text already exists. Do I want to replace it?" When I clilcked Yes, I was told the file "contains characters in Unicode format which will be lost if you save this file as an ANSI encoded text file. To keep the Unicode info, click Cancel and then select one of the Unicode options from the drop down list." At this point I decided it was best to ask you if I'm heading in the right direction before going on.

Blog Entries

As I said previously, you must use Wordpad. Notepad is not suitable.

It's located in the Accessories file.

If you don't see it, type wordpad into the searchbox at the bottom of the All Programs window.

After typing WORDPAD into the searchbox and clicking on SEE ALL RESULTS the names of two files appeared: lxblw (setup --this is checked) and lxblw (configuration). Clicking the setup file brought up a Notepad window, so I tried the configuration file and got a similar Notepad window. I then went back to the searchbox at the bottom of All Programs and again typed WORDPAD but this time clicked on SEARCH THE INTERNET and was presented with several sites offering free Wordpad downloads (freedownloadscenter.com, brothersoft.com, en.softonic.com, among others, I think). Since none of them were from Microsoft I was hesitant to download any of them, especially when so many are being offered. Would you recommend one over the others? Or would the lxblw setup file be able to install Wordpad, and I'm just not going about it in the right way?

Blog Entries

You don't need to download anything, you already have it. Does your All Programs listing look like the image in my last post?

This may help.
    Last edited by arraknid; 08-21-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added link

My All Program listing is different from yours. You have more listings, plus the Wordpad listing that I don't have. If I have this program, somewhere, I still don't know how to access it. The link you provided gives great info about Wordpad but I don't see how I can access the program from there.

Blog Entries

Do you have any other word processing programs installed, like Word?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast