Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blank Screen

Default Blank Screen

I turned my computer on today and It seems like it starts up but the screen is blank
    I don't know it the lighting storm we had this afternoon would have done something to it.
    The fan motor is running. I unplug it for a while and also tried a different screen but get the same results.
    I but my recovery disk in but still got a blank screen and the green light on the cd rom never lite up. It did at when I turned the computer for a second along with the lights on the key board and the orange light on the computer for a second.
    Thanks for the help ahead of time.
    It work good yesterday. And I did not go on line with it.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Did you have your PC powered through a surge protector when it was storming? Was the power turned off, even for a second or two? (check and see electric clocks and did you have to re-set them? If the answer to any of these is yes, there is a possibility your motherboard is fried or other component, like graphic card. Are you able to boot up in safe mode .. doesn't sound like you can, but please answer the questions.

The Computer was plug in but not to a surg protector. Everything else in the house seems to be normal. and the computer was off.
    When I turn the screen I get "no signal"

I'm not sure by just not having it on protects it if not going through a surge protector. For the price they are, it's cheap insurance. However this doesn't fix your problem. You know for a fact that the other monitor you tried it on does work, if so that eliminates a bad monitor. When you turn the PC on, can you hear any whirring sounds like a fan, or clicking sounds, how about any beeps (if beeps, what pattern are they in)? Others may have input, so stay tuned.

When I turn it on I hear it running but it sounds like just the fan.
    The last thing I did was I put a compac flash in the slot to look at pictures then turned the computer off. and then took the compac flash out of the slot.
    Then today after the storm passed I turned the computer but nothing happen as I wrote before. Like before it would rev up but now it don't so I think it's just the fan running. It does make a high pitch noise but not very loud. Infact you can hardley hear it.

As you boot up, keep tapping the f8 key and see if that gets you to safe mode. If you're not seeing any DOS type writing, but just stays blank, I don't think the news is too good. Stay tuned for other's comments.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With no POST, it sounds as though either the motherboard or the PSU is fried. Storm surge damage can enter the machine either via the phone lines or the mains electricity point. Having said that, the PSU is more resilient than the motherboard, so my money would be on the latter. You could try swapping the PSU to eliminate it as the cause, but that only makes economic sense if you plan to repair, not replace the machine.

Turning the machine off will not protect it. Only disconnecting power and phone cables, or using some form of surge protector will. A lesson learned, hopefully.

Default what's that?

What is a PSU Arraknid?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Sailor,

PSU stands for Power Supply Unit. It's at the back of your desktop computer where the power cable plugs in and has a fan inside. It converts mains voltage down to a number of low voltage supplies to power various parts of your computer.

Hope that helps.

Default Thanks

Boy, that was an easy one. Should've known better. But thank you anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast