Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photo formats

Default photo formats

What's pdf.? What is jpg? Where is a good tutorial on the various formats, what's available and what's necessary? I have a disk here from Cosmi labeled Perfect Photo Paint Studio. Recommend using or not?
    Last edited by sailor86; 08-24-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Here's a program extension dictionary that will help http://www.library.mcgill.ca/edrs/se...xtensions.html . As far as Perfect Photo Paint Studio, I can't say I've ever heard of it and there doesn't seem to be many if any reviews on it. Check out our Software Picks , there are a lot of excellent and proven and free programs there.

Default choppin' it down to size...

I guess my question is, specifically, how do I reduce the size of a photo? The website says:"sorry but your image was bigger than 256K. Please reduce and try again." How do I do that?

As I mention, in our Software Pick there are a couple of programs that will do this for you. If you were to download PhotoScape for example > select Editor > select the picture and then select 'resize' and adjust the setting down to the size that's acceptable, that the way it's done.

Default got it. now what?

I went ahead and downloaded Photoscape(free, no brainer) and I am at a total loss as to what to do now. I press the help button and I get a video tutorial which bypasses the bare bones fundamentals of getting set up. How did they arrive at the screen shown with all those photos arranged neatly on the side? Mind you my aim was to downsize a photo but the more options the better, I guess. What determines whether your photos are in jpg or pdf, or are the two even related? If so, what are the advantages and drawbacks of each. (apples and oranges?)

First, using the tree in the top left corner, find your way to the picture you want to edit, most probably in My Documents > My Pictures > double click on the picture file and it will open in the edit window. Next, at the bottom, you'll see a button Resize > click that and select the size you want .. you'll have to experiment to find the right size for the application you want to put it into. You then elect 'save' bottom right to save it to a file, which you'll access to install in the application you want it in.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What determines whether your photos are in jpg or pdf, or are the two even related? If so, what are the advantages and drawbacks of each. (apples and oranges?)
    That should be 'who determines...?' because the choice is yours, and that depends on what you plan to do with them. 99% of images used on the internet are .jpg or .jpeg (the same) format. A .pdf file is merely a way of wrapping up a collection of text and images to make it readable, but the images are still .jpg format.

So, if you are uploading images to the internet, you'll always use .jpg format, but if you've created, say a report or a brochure, with lots of text and images, then you'd likely save it as a .pdf file so it can be distributed and read by virtually anyone. Single images can be saved as .pdf files, but their size will be slightly inflated, and won't be visible on a website without either downloading, or viewing in a browser with the correct plugin.

Default we're getting there...

Canuck, I get what you're saying but when I resize and hit [I]save[I], it tells me that I cannot save read onlydocs. Sounds like it's referring to video. Or what's up?

Default I've got it!...I think.

After quite a bit of file juggling I managed to isolate the image I wanted and load it as an avatar;(that's what the photo in the corner of your posts is called, right?) I'm sticking with PhotoScape now. It seems to have more than enough features to supercede anything else that comes along. I appreciate the assist!

try "save as". also in the 'file types' section of the save as window, change the type to .jpg or .jpeg..... see if that helps.

if the pic your trying to resize is a PDF, it wont let you change the file. thats the beauty of PDF's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast