Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Anti Virus and AntiSpyware outdated on my pc.

I have AVG Free protection and it has worked very well. Lately, my pc, at start up, is giving me warnings that I am not protected. It is usually about the firewall and when I click on it, it goes on. Now, it tells me that my AntiVirus and AntiSpyware are outdated. When I click on 'update' these two messages come up: Error in Plugin Loading (0xE0018E09) and Error in plugin loading schedules (0xE0018E09).
    I don't know what this is or why it is happening. Do you think I should uninstall my AVG Free and then reinstall it? Or just reinstall it without uninstall? I would really appreciate some help with this. Thank you.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Suggest you uninstall AVG, download and run ccleaner with its default settings, reboot and then download a fresh copy of AVG. (Remember, in the install options, to uncheck toolbar, and to install latest updates after its loaded.

I have all that, thank you, but I don't know how to reboot. Can you tell me, please?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reboot just means restart your computer.

I did everything I was advised to do by Canuck. When I download AVG, this message comes up: AVG Anti Virus System - @Frw_Page_UpdScan_Cfg_Error.
    Neither the AntiVirus thing nor the AntiSpyware thing is running. It says they were last updated at 8.19 on July 3rd, 2008. I have Skybot installed. Would it have anything to do with that? Do you think this problem can be fixed? The AVG has been great up to this. Thanks for the reboot info. I thought it was some complicated procedure!

How did you uninstal AVG? Did you go into Control Panel > Add/Remove programs ? Did you download the right version of AVG? The version in the left hand column http://free.avg.com/ww.download-avg-...s-free-edition ? Download and run this program Windows Install Cleanup utility and select AVG and delete. Run Ccleaner and then reboot. Now go to AVG and download. If it doesn't work this time, we'll see what else we can try. Keep us posted.

I did everything you said as you said, but that error msge came up. Now, here's a strange thing. I've just gone into Windows Utility Cleanup and, although AVG is on my pc, it is not listed in the installations there! Spybot, since I downloaded the latest version, is scanning everything as it happens on my pc. It gives me this msge:

Skybot has detected an important registry entry that has been changed.
    Category: System Start Up global entry.
    Change: Value added
    Entrty: AVG8_TRAY
    New data: c:\program\avg\avg8\avgtray.exe.

It gives me options to deny the change or enable it.

Is Spybot AntiVirus and interfering with AVG? It couldn't be though cos if it were, I wouldn't be getting these msges about having no protection. Mr. Canuck, if you can sort this one out you are a genius.

I'm getting extremely nervous that I don't have protection. Do you think I should just give AVG a miss and download some other programme? Or is the problem with my pc and I'll have the same trouble no matter what one I use?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

AVG has been giving problems recently, but they seem to have sorted things now. It's possible that the original AVG installation didn't use the Windows Installer, so using the Windows Install Cleanup utility won't work.

As you have Ccleaner, start it up, select tools on the left side, make sure Uninstall is selected then see if AVG is present in the list. If it is, select it and click on Run Uninstaller.

To check whether AVG is actually running on your computer, open Task Manager by clicking on Ctrl + Alt + Del keys, click on the Processes tab, and look down the list for anything that looks like AVG. (Tip: If you click once on the Image Name header, it'll put the list in alphabetical order.)

Apart from AVG, you could use Avast which is also free, but maybe you should wait for more input from Canuck first.

Yes, by all means, follow arriknid's suggestions. I agree whole-heartedly with his observations.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast