Thread: Xp Bsod

Default Xp Bsod

dont know if anyone out there can help here but just maybe...
    I live in Spain and had a phone call from Daughter in law in the UK concerning her Mums PC.
    All I know is that its a Dell and relatively new, but runs XP Home with SP2 installed.
    She was downloading a game for her 7 year old daughter and during the download the system crashed, leaving the dreaded BSOD.
    She reported that the Error Message reads;
    0x0000008E (8xC0000005, 8xBF803EB6, 8XF8BF57C4, 8X00000000)...Win32Ksystem BS803EB6
    (I'm not sure about the '8s' in the message...other similar problems seem to have a 0 prefix)

Had a quick look around the net for possible fixes but to no avail...

When she tries to boot up in Safe Mode the system just resets itself and goes back to the Blue screen...(Auto restart?)

So far as I am aware she does not have a dedicated XP Disc only the Dell recovery disc.

Given that I am 2000 miles away I cant exactly drop everything and go see for myself, but if anyone has any ideas I would be very appreciative. Or is this a case of take it in to a repair agency?
    Last edited by whitenoiz; 08-26-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Member Help2Go Moderator

If you could possibly have her email you the *.dmp files located in C:\windows\minidump and you can attach them to a reply we could take a better log and crash logs to see what's going on.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

See if this looks familiar. If yes, follow the instructions as given.

Good Luck.

EDIT>>>
    All I know is that its a Dell and relatively new
    Is the machine still covered by a warranty? Also, as you only have a Dell Recovery disk, the link I gave you isn't relevent as you need an official XP disk. Unfortunately, the Dell disk may wipe your files, so a call to Dell Support is needed before using it.
    Last edited by arraknid; 08-27-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse View Post
    If you could possibly have her email you the *.dmp files located in C:\windows\minidump and you can attach them to a reply we could take a better log and crash logs to see what's going on.
    Couldnt do that...
    system resets to blue screen shortly after selection of Start in Safe mode...

However, daughter in law must have done something right because she now has the system up and running again.

Dont know what the problem is or was and being a firm believer in 'If it aint broke dont fix it'
    I have suggested she leave thing well alone and if problem re-appears get in touch with Dell support.

Thanks for the suggestions though. Appreciated.