Default defrag- files that did not defrag

i ran the defrag ( windows xp ) and i have some large files remaining that did not defrag. how can i defrag these.?

Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
    2 55 KB \Documents and Settings\chris\Favorites\HowStuffWorks - Learn how Everything Works!.url
    312 418 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos\2008-07-18\MOV00A.MOD
    256 431 MB \Documents and Settings\chris\My Documents\My Videos\MOV001.MOD
    213 440 MB \MyWorks\Default.mpg
    325 626 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos\2008-07-18\MOV008.MOD
    8 1,024 MB \Documents and Settings\chris\My Documents\My Videos\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    273 1.10 GB \Documents and Settings\chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

i'm guessing but heres my 2 cents:

defragmentation probably did not occur because windows found some sort of undisclosed problem with the file, and did not move it for fear of corrupting it further.

my advice to you would be to run the error checking utility located by opening 'my computer' right-clicking the drive you defragmented and choosing 'properties'. click the 'tools' tab and select 'error checking' by clicking the 'check now' button.

at this point you should have a box with 2 options to check and the usual 'cancel' and 'start' buttons.

Tick both boxes and click 'start'.

if it is the drive with your operating system on it, you should get a warning reading: The disk could not be performed because the disk checu utility....etc

click 'yes', (confirming any changes to the BootExecute if you have utilitys checking for changes) and restart your computer.

the utility will load before windows loads, and will go through a 5 stage check. DO NOT SWITCH OFF YOUR COMPUTER!!!

stages 1-3 will pass quickly, but stage 4 and 5 will take a long time, depending on the size of the drive and number of files stored. at times it will seem as though nothing is happening, but trust me, it is. it normally takes up to 4 hours for my 120gb harddrive on the desktop when full.

once the check is complete, and windows has reloaded, re-try the defragmentation.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are a few reasons why certain files don't defrag, the most common of which is there's insufficient room on the disk to create the secondary temporary files. All of those files are large files, except the URL link, which is too small to defrag. Data files of running processes can't be defragged either.

Bottom line is, as long as everything is working as it should and movies are playing without stuttering, there's nothing to worry about.

Next time you want to do a defrag, clean out all of the temporary files and accumulated rubbish using a utility like Ccleaner, run chkdsk /f (see here), and run defrag in Safe Mode.

Hope that helps.

EDIT...sorry MrDarn, we crossed again.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post

EDIT...sorry MrDarn, we crossed again.
    thats ok Arraknid, as i said, it was just my 2 cents....

you are much more clued up on it than i am, i was just stating what worked for me in the past...

good to know about files being too small, i never thought of that. nor the disk space issue.

it would be good to know what was available...

@ ceyermann: could you confirm disk space available?

Default defrag

Mr darn i took your advise and ran the utilities cleanup. it appears my laptop restarts more quickly than in the past and that is what i was trying to cure. i will defrag again and see if there is a change and notify.

arraknid thanks for your input. i use ccleaner on a regular basis and did not know about running chkdsk/f and then defrag in the safe mode. i'm not real pc savvy is there a difference running in safe mode vs. using system tools and defrag from there?

here is the original defrag report.

Volume c drive (C
    Volume size = 98.14 GB
    Cluster size = 4 KB
    Used space = 79.69 GB
    Free space = 18.45 GB
    Percent free space = 18 %

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 3 %
    File fragmentation = 6 %
    Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
    Total files = 124,610
    Average file size = 842 KB
    Total fragmented files = 8
    Total excess fragments = 1,384
    Average fragments per file = 1.01

Pagefile fragmentation
    Pagefile size = 1.49 GB
    Total fragments = 3

Folder fragmentation
    Total folders = 12,268
    Fragmented folders = 1
    Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
    Total MFT size = 144 MB
    MFT record count = 137,686
    Percent MFT in use = 93 %
    Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
    2 55 KB \Documents and Settings\chris\Favorites\HowStuffWorks - Learn how Everything Works!.url
    312 418 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos\2008-07-18\MOV00A.MOD
    256 431 MB \Documents and Settings\chris\My Documents\My Videos\MOV001.MOD
    213 440 MB \MyWorks\Default.mpg
    325 626 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos\2008-07-18\MOV008.MOD
    8 1,024 MB \Documents and Settings\chris\My Documents\My Videos\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
    273 1.10 GB \Documents and Settings\chris\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

the main difference in defragging from safe mode is the fact less files are in use at the time of the defrag, therefore more can be used.

its also a good idea, if defraging from normal mode, to stop the services running in the system tray. this is one reason why the 1.10GB outlook entry was not defragged....

apart from that, i cant see a space issue??? or am i reading it wrong?

Default defrag issue

not a space issue. i was just trying to cleanup and improve performance. assuming the files that did not defrag were slowing down performance i was concerned. thanks again for your help.

sorry ceyermann, it was directed at arraknid.... i was after more info to learn from myself

did you manage to do a successful defrag after following the steps?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

An excellent defrag program is JkDefrag. There is a review and link to it here