Default How do I completely remove Spy Sweeper?

Spy Sweeper conflicts with my McAfee. McAfee will not download with Spy Sweeper or elements thereof installed. Could not find Spy Sweeper in Control Pannel/Add/Remove. Did find it in All Programs and deleted it.
    However, McAfee still will not download because 'Spy Sweeper' or elements thereof are installed.
    I can not find it on the computer, using search, etc,.
    any help would be appreciated.
    CAWickers

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Are you saying that you went into All Programs, found Spy Sweeper, right clicked and deleted? Or did you find an uninstaller in the Spy Sweeper file and use that?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Are you saying that you went into All Programs, found Spy Sweeper, right clicked and deleted? Or did you find an uninstaller in the Spy Sweeper file and use that?
    I right clicked and deleted it. There was no uninstaller option. thanks for you reply.
    CAWickers

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Deleting a programs folder will not uninstall it. There may well be additional files in the Windows folder, entries in the Registry, data files in Application Data folder, etc, etc.

If the Spysweeper icon is present on the taskbar next to the clock, right click on it and Exit.

Do a search for spysweeper.exe and if you haven't already done so, delete it.

Now search for wrsssdk.exe and delete that. You may need to end the process in Task Manager to do so.

If you don't already have it installed, download Ccleaner, click on Tools and check Uninstall for a Spysweeper entry. If present run the uninstaller. Now click on Registry and Scan for issues.

For good measure, run the Cleaner. Now restart computer.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks.
    However: There was no Spykeeper icon on the taskbar.
    Neither spysweeper.exe nor wrssskd.exe was found on search.
    When I downloaded and ran ccleaner.com, I ran the uninstall and none of the spysweeper items showed up.
    I also ran the Cleaner, Registry and Scan for issues.
    Thanks for introducing me to a nice program. I was happy to send a donation to them.

Then I tried again to download McAfee, and rcvd the same msg: 'Webroot Spy Sweeper must be removed before the McAfee download can continue'

I am an old retired soldier, and if this was not so much fun I would consider walking off the end of the pier.

Take care,

CAWickers

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For what it's worth, McAfee is a pretty poor antivirus program. You'd be better downloading and installing Avast or AVG - both free and leave McAfee standing.

My personal choice is Avast, just does its job without constant nagging popups.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you taken a look in the startup in msconfig? Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK > Startup tab > look for any entry for spysweeper, if there is, put a check in the box next to the entry > OK > reboot > on reboot > Configuration window > click box 'to not show again' > OK.

You could also try Windows Install Cleanup utility , run it and see if it picks up spysweerper, if so uninstall it.

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

>>Click Here<< to download the Spy Sweeper free scan trial. Once you have it downloaded go to Add or Remove Programs and use the uninstaller to uninstall it.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Member Help2Go Moderator

Could also try and see if you have the SSECLEANUP tool located in C:\program files\webroot\InstallFiles\

If it's not located there, then, you can try this one: http://resnet.bridgew.edu/files/SSECleanup.zip

Not sure what version it's for but it can do a general uninstall.