Default Display contains thin vertical lines and one approx 2 in wide

My display just started having a line vertically about 1/3 of the way from the left side. a very thin one. The about a week later, another appeared about 1/3 from the right side. And just today about a two inch wide vertical "shaded" area is almost ing the middle. I can still work on the computer and function but I was wondering if ther is an easy fix. Is the display about to go? Do I reinstall drivers and if so , how?

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with Windows XP professional, Its about 4 years old.

It has an NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 card in it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i'm assuming this is a laptop.

if its what i think it is, its a rather complex fix, not something as simple as drivers etc. it sounds like a physical problem with your laptop monitor.

to be sure....do you have a desktop monitor you could attach to the laptop to verify the lines have gone?

another way to chech would be to hold the top left corner of the display, and GENTLY twist the screen slightly at the right corner. what happens when you do this?

if more lines appear/the lines go away, you have the same problem i had a while ago. it involves a loose/broken connection between the laptop base and the flip lid, at either the controller or ribbon.

this is not a novice fix tho, and should not be attempted if you are not good at putting things back together.

i started a similer thread here

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There was a problem with that model of laptop a couple of years ago involving vertical lines appearing, and Dell offered a replacement as long as the problem appeared within 3 years of purchase. I had a delve into our records at work and found this page. If yours is one of those, and it was purchased more than 3 years ago, it could be expensive.

To be absolutely sure you don't have that problem, Dell also published a useful list of other causes of lines on the display here.

As MrDarn suggests, it may just be a bad connector, but either way, you need to get it checked out by a professional. Here's hoping!