Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Talking Access to CD/DVD drives is denied by the administrator

When I turn my PC on I get an error message saying Access to CD/DVD drives is denied by the administrator. I only have 1 profile set up on my computer so I am the administrator. I cant figure out how to get access to my drives?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You give us very little information, but it sounds as though your CD/DVD driver may be damaged. Make and model of your PC and/or of the DVD drive & operating system would help.

Others will pick up this thread for me, as I'll be on the road for the rest of the week.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's possible that a recent install has changed a registry entry.

If you have XP or Vista and are comfortable working in the registry, navigate to this entry...

HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\allocatecdroms

Set the value to 0 then reboot.

Hope that helps.

Default CD/DVD Drive not working

Thanks for your replys
    HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\allocatecdroms
    is not there. I have checked Regedit looked through to HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon but couldnt find \allocatecdroms.

Im running windows XP I have all the latest updates. the PC is made by Acer with an Intel Celeron chipset.

I have an option of running the recovery manager but Im not sure if this will format my drive or just repair windows? I have a few other problems as well on boot up I also get application launcher failed to start tlib.dill missing. try reinstalling the application but i have no idea which application its refering to.

Blog Entries

OK, first we'll get that registry entry sorted. Click on this link, and save to your Desktop as cdenable.reg Then double click the file and confirm addition to the registry. That will add the correct entry and should solve the problem.

When you start the computer, a registry entry is trying to run tlib.dll which is part of a program installed on your machine. Go here and look at the list of programs associated with the file. If you have any of those, reinstall the program. If you don't, download SuperAntiSpyware and run a scan.

Default Access to CD/DVD drives is denied by the administrator

Thanks. I have sorted out tlib.dll problem.
    I have run cdenable.reg. I still cant access either f my CD/DVD drives. I dont get the same error now. They are now not listed with the rest of my drives. If i open the device manager they are listed there with yellow ! next to them. the problem appears to be with the drivers the problem code is code 39. i have unistalled the drives and scanned for hardware changes this has just brought me back to the same point. i have looked for new drivers but this has not worked?
    My system is now working a little faster although upon start up it still takes a long time to sort its self out and allow you to open the first program.

Blog Entries

Virtually all cd/dvd drives use Windows generic drivers, so the problem is with Windows. Try right clicking on the Device Manager listing for the drive and selecting Uninstall. Then restart the computer to see if Windows re-installs automatically.

See how that goes.

Default Access to CD/DVD drives is denied by the administrator

Hi
    Ive tried that still no good. I have also tried replacing my drive with another 1 i had lying about. with this other one on start up if finds the new drive but says its unable to locate the drivers to make it work correctly?
    The drives are not listed if I look in my computer.

Blog Entries

I think you are getting close to a reinstall of Windows - without loss of files and data, but try this first. As before, download this to your desktop, double click it and add to registry. Then restart your computer.

See if that helps.
    Last edited by arraknid; 09-29-2008 at 12:41 PM.

That has helped I now can see the drives the device manger says they are working ok. but Access is still being restricted bt the administrator. Ive had a look in the registry but still cant find allocate cdroms. i have run the link you have sent me but its still not there?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast