Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3
    Points
    0

    Smile compatability advice on the geforce 9600 card

    Hi I have a quick question im having the most difficult time googling this.......can my *dell dimension desktop C521 slim form factor, amd sempron 3400+ 1.80 ghz and, 1.5soon to be 4 gigs ram, vista 32bit* run the new geforce 9600 card? it says that it is low profile so i assume i can install it ive already installed a radeon 2400 in my computer but i am looking to upgrade...if it wont run ill get the 8600 geforce or 8400 im not too aware of the different aspects of these cards though.........thanks ahead of time....................

  2. #2
    Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    6,151
    Points
    1293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    As far as I'm aware, there's currently only one low profile card, using the 9600 chipset, that'll fit a slimline case and it comes from Galaxy - see here.

    Low profile is also used to describe a card that takes up just one slot space, so don't confuse the two.

    You'll also need at least a 400w PSU and probably extra cooling. The 9600 chipset runs very hot and isn't really suited to a slimline case due to space and cooling constraints, but Galaxy seem to have managed it. Hopefully, they've also suited out the drivers!

  3. #3
    Member sunshine girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    in front of my pc (Florida)
    Posts
    8
    Points
    9

    Default

    If your going up to 4 GB of ram then you might want to rethink vista 32. With 4 GB you really need to jump up to Vista 64 or you will be wasting some of your ram

  4. #4
    Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    6,151
    Points
    1293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smartmom View Post
    If your going up to 4 GB of ram then you might want to rethink vista 32. With 4 GB you really need to jump up to Vista 64 or you will be wasting some of your ram
    That's not strictly true. The system will only report 3.5gb, but the full 4gb will be used. Vista 64 will support either 8, 16 or 128+gb, depending on the version, but that would need a motherboard that supported large amounts of RAM.

    Whilst solving the RAM problem, Vista 64 creates others - like not supporting popular software or browser plugins like Flash. Saying that, the new version of Windows - codenamed Windows 7 is reported to be 64bit only, so those problems should be sorted, but that's 2 years away.

  5. #5
    Member sunshine girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    in front of my pc (Florida)
    Posts
    8
    Points
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post

    Whilst solving the RAM problem, Vista 64 creates others - like not supporting popular software or browser plugins like Flash.
    See I disagree here. I run vista 64 and I have no more software issues than any vista user has. I can run programs that are vista 32 on my vista 64 they just run a little slower. As for flash I don't have a issue with that.

    Losing ram to me is a much larger issue. Not only do you have 4gb but you will also have some additional ram in the video card (256mb or 128mb depending on the card). If you want to stay with vista 32 then you should only purchase 3gb of ram IMO.

  6. #6
    Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    6,151
    Points
    1293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Losing ram to me is a much larger issue.
    Were you aware that, with more than 2gb of RAM installed, Vista 64 uses 995mb of it just to run itself? With 1gb installed, Vista 64 uses 650mb. Compare that to between 150 and 200mb on XP Pro. You are right that increasing RAM is the way to go, but having an operating system that uses much of it, and the need to run software designed for 32bit systems because 64 bit versions aren't available, hardly seems a leap forward.

    64bit systems are the future, but until software and driver writers catch up, not quite yet.

  7. #7
    Member sunshine girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    in front of my pc (Florida)
    Posts
    8
    Points
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post

    64bit systems are the future, but until software and driver writers catch up, not quite yet.
    Ok well I'm going to venture to guess you don't have a 64bit system? I do in fact I have two of them. My laptop is a 4gb and my custom built pc is 8gb and both are 64 bit vista. I also have a gaming rig that is on XP Pro. Yes I'm new to the forums here but I do have a idea what I'm talking about. I'm not new to the pc world.

    64 bit is not the future but is the present time. Vista 64 does work with plugins too its called compatibility mode. I do not nor have I ever had a issue with software or drivers. Again plain and simple vista 32 cannot address the whole 4gb of ram. If fact if you go to the store any off the shelf computer that is 4gb or more is vista 64 - they do that for a reason.

  8. #8
    Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    6,151
    Points
    1293
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    OK, this is the last comment I'll make because this forum is based on informed comment and experience and there's no place for argument and disagreement.

    I'm directly responsible for 22 64bit machines as well as 140 32 bit machines and the comments I make are based on that broad spectrum of experience over many years.

    That said, you are entitled to your view.

  9. #9
    Member MrDarn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South East Northumberland
    Posts
    2,949
    Points
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smartmom View Post
    If fact if you go to the store any off the shelf computer that is 4gb or more is vista 64 - they do that for a reason.
    Thats why 'currys' and 'pc world' in britian sell pc's with vista premium and 512 ram, even though the min requirements state 1gb. (source)

    Quote Originally Posted by smartmom View Post
    64 bit is not the future but is the present time. Vista 64 does work with plugins too its called compatibility mode. I do not nor have I ever had a issue with software or drivers.
    does that not revert the program back to 32bit? therefore making the 64bit system redundant? if your using a 64bit system in 32bit mode...is that not defeating the object?
    i'm not being funny, i just wanna know... i aint as computer smart as most here...

  10. #10
    Member sunshine girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    in front of my pc (Florida)
    Posts
    8
    Points
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrDarn View Post
    Thats why 'currys' and 'pc world' in britian sell pc's with vista premium and 512 ram, even though the min requirements state 1gb. (source)
    Well nothing more to say then they are idiots.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrDarn View Post
    does that not revert the program back to 32bit? therefore making the 64bit system redundant? if your using a 64bit system in 32bit mode...is that not defeating the object?
    i'm not being funny, i just wanna know... i aint as computer smart as most here...
    See I don't have a software issue so I really don't run into this I'm just saying if you had to.

    You know what I'm really not here to get into a argument with any of the "guru's" here. I just think bringing info to the forums and letting others read it and make what ever decision is best for their needs. What works for me may not work for others and visa versa but in the end maybe we all walk away learning something new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast