Default keyboard not responding & windows wont boot

Im really sorry that I dont know many details about my computer. All I know is that its about 4 years old & for some reason it wont start anymore.

It basically goes to a screen asking me if I want to start in one of three modes & if I do not choose one it will start automatically, but it never does it just keeps looping to this same screen.

I cannot move the highlighted area on the screen at all...the only thing I can do is when it first starts up it will let me hit F2 I think? then it takes me to a different page that I know nothing about.

But basically the computer just keeps circling round & round going to the screen telling me to choose a start up mode (safe mode is one of the options, but because the keyboard is unresponsive I cant choose that option) so I just let it run & it just seems to keep starting over & over going through the same process.

Do you have any idea why it is doing this & how I can fix it?

I have no idea where my windows boot disk is...but Im pretty sure it was windows XP on there.

Thank you

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Jeanette,

If your F2 key works, it's likely that your other keys work too. The highlighted area is moved using the up and down arrows that form the inverted T shape between your main keyboard and the number pad, and selected by pressing the Enter or Carriage return key.

Try moving the selection down to Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) and hitting Enter.

If you can't get Windows to start that way, repeat the sequence and this time select Safe Mode. That will start Windows at its most basic, so things will look strange. Use System Restore to restore the computer to a date preceding the problem.

Hope that helps.

Default keyboard not responding

Thanks for that arraknid but the only key that works if the F2. I have tried the up & down arrow keys, the left right, I've tried making sure scroll lock wasnt on, Ive tried control alt delte to get up task manager nothing works. Any other suggestions?

Blog Entries

Is your keyboard PS2 connected or USB?

Default keyboard not responding

Its usb & I have made sure its connected properly. It just seems really weird that only 1 key works, and the windows boot just keeps looping

Blog Entries

It sounds as though, for some reason, the USB Legacy Support option in your BIOS has been disabled. You get to BIOS by pressing the F2 key just as the computer starts or beeps.

That's the place you went to before. All controls/selections are via the keyboard again, using up/down arrows Enter and Esc keys, so depending on the BIOS you have, it may work or not! Key controls are shown at the foot of the window.

After you enter the BIOS, look for the USB Legacy Support setting. Usually, this setting is found under the Advanced, Peripheral, or Peripheral Configuration menu, however your BIOS may be different.

Select USB Legacy Support and change the setting to Enabled. Do not change any other settings.

Save the settings and exit the BIOS. Allow Windows to start.

If you can't make any changes in BIOS, because the keyboard won't work, you'll need to get hold of a PS2 keyboard, connect it and make the changes using that, though the fact that the F2 key works should also mean the other keys will.

Try that and let us know how it goes.