Default Some web page links don't work in Vista with IE 7

We have some computers running Vista with Explorer 7 that can't open links on the company website. When right-clicking on a link and checking file properties, the links show up as gif files rather than as html files. Another Vista machine with Explorer 7 opens the links fine with no problems at all. Right clicking on the links with this machine show the links file extensions to be html files, not gif files as with the other machines.

XP Pro machines (SP2 & SP3), all running either IE 6 or IE 7 have no problems with the links of the website, and if we right click on a link, the files are shown to have htm extensions.

In all cases, the website appears correctly; it's just the links do not work with some of the Vista IE 7 machines.

I don't know if this is a Vista issue or an IE issue. Any help in identifying what is causing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis
    Last edited by curtis5746; 10-03-2008 at 07:39 AM.

Hi Curtis

This is definitely an odd one.

When looking at the properties of the link you're saying the link address is the actual url with a .gif extension instead of the html? or that it points to an unrelated gif file? Having the path to the gif file could shed some light on things.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Hello Mich,

Thanks for looking at this.

Many of the links were originally jpeg files that were converted to html files by Publisher. However, when trying reach the address that the link should be pointing to on the webpage, nothing happens when we left-click on it. If we right click on the link, the property for the link shows the path to the file, but it shows that the file is a gif file instead of a htm or html file. Another thing, the file name itself isn't correct. It's as though something is interpreting the path incorrectly.

Again, this has happend on some Vista machines running IE7, but yet works fine on other Vista machines running IE7. We haven't seen the problem on any XP boxes. Another development, we loaded Foxfire on one of the problem computers and we find the same problem. We haven't tried IE6 on a Vista machine, but I'm wondering now if this may be a Vista anomoly rather than an IE problem.

Curtis

wow. Hard to pinpoint a problem there. I would guess its either an overall system setting or coding issues in the webpage. The gif could be one of the default browser error pages. If you can look at the gif file and identify it that would help you, knowing what it is and where it is could tell you why its present on the page as the link.

Not positive either but I don't think you can install IE6 on a vista machine.

Suggestions/process of elimination:

- clear the cache on the systems with and without the issue and see if the problem persists

- check the coding of the webpage itself. Publisher isn't the best program for web pages, there could be a small issue in the coding that makes some machines render the code differently

- run windows update on all the vista machines, make sure they all have the same updates

- Is this site on your intranet or internet? If it's intranet I would check the network settings of the machines in question, permissions set on the bad machines, make sure they are joined correctly to the domain etc. and check the number of connections the site can have
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Thanks again for trying Mich, but we still have the problem.

Again, the webpage is on the Internet and is hosted by Network Solutions. They believe that the problem is most likely a problem with Vista, but whatever it is, we haven't been able to find it.

As I said, some Vista machines seem to be just fine with it, while others have a problem with it. All XP machines that we know of (both ours and customers) do not have any problem navigating the site - just certain Vista machines. Even on those, the homepage opens fine, but they simply can't navigate through the site.