Default Getting Files from old Computer

A few weeks ago I wrote about a motherboard being fried and took you advice and got a different computer.
    Now is there any way I can get my doc. files off the old one.
    would like to get them off. Kind of Important to me.
    Like retirement papers

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

There are a couple of different methods to do this, probably the easiest is to buy yourself a memory stick .. (usb flash drive) (just a couple of dollars) which you plug into a USB port on your old PC. Find the files you want saved, copy them and paste to the stick. After that's done, put the stick into your new PCs USB port > open > copy files and paste in a new file folder on the new PC.

Pick up a flash drive from Wall Mart (or anywhere) 1 GIG is plenty for what you're doing.

I'm assuming the old computer won't boot. If you are comfortable working inside a computer, open up the old computer and remove the hard drive. You now have 2 options. You can install the old drive in your new computer as a slave drive or you can install the drive in an external usb case. Either way will let you access your documents, music, and pictures (programs that are installed on old drive won't work). You can also continue to use the drive for additional storage. Installing in your new computer has the advantage of needing no additional equipment. Charlie

A family member has an old computer that works but was so slow. Maybe I will get it and put the hard drive in that one the use a usb memory stick which I have to get the files.
    But is this going to be hard. and what does the hard drive have a lot of stuff attached to it.?
    But this sounds like the best way.
    Thanks,

Basically, there is a power cable and a data cable (flat ribbon) attached. Typically there will be 4 screws that hold the drive in place, 2 on each side. Remove the screws and cables and the drive should slide out, usually to the rear, but some cases require sliding it out to the front. Additional info here:
    http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading...new-hard-drive

Charlie

Does it make any difference if I use like windows 98 computer to install the hard drive to?
    The old hard drive is windows xp home edition?

Your hard drive from the XP computer is most likely formatted as NTFS. windows 98 will not read NTFS, only FAT and FAT32. You will need to use a XP computer. Charlie

or at the bare minimum a windows 2000 computer which has ntfs selected as its file system.

(i believe this was the pivotal point where the changeover was made, am i right?)

I was wondering, once I get my files off can I remove the old HD and have the computer like it was before installing the old Hd.
    And If I use it for a slave drive do I have to use the power source to it or will the master drive power work for both?

You can remove it if you want. You will need to plug in a power cord, but there is most likely a spare one somewhere in the wiring harness. Charlie