Exclamation TalkTalk Internet with Vista

I have a client who is recently been having problems with her Internet connection. Her nephew borrowed their laptop and completley got rid of all their TalkTalk settings etc. Replaced them with his BT and Sky networks. Now they have their laptop back they can't access the Internet. They have a Vista laptop and an EchoLife modem. The laptop just isn't seeing the modem.

I've tried to get them setup again, but the modem just isn't liking it. Any ideas on what I can try next will be greatly appreciated.

from what i've seen in the past, talktalk supply a cd with the settings on it. is this unavailable?

as for giving advice, we have no idea what you've tried, so its hard to advise, as you 'seem' to know what your doing (trying to read from what you have wrote)

is the 'modem' a wireless one? and thats the problem? or is it a direct wired connection your having trouble with? (laptop suggests wireless, modem (without wireless mention) suggests direct wired)

if direct wired, does the modem appear in 'device manager'?

the more info you supply now, the quicker we can help

Default More info re modem

The modem is directly wired. My client does have 2 installation cd's, both exactly the same. I tried these yesturday, but no luck. After the diagnostics (from cd) it fails to detect modem, says it may be a driver problem. But I've checked the driver, it's up to date. The modem is in device manager and all the lights (adsl, wlan etc) work fine.

i'm assuming by saying 'its in device manager' you mean there are no warning signs next to it such as yellow tryangles etc.

some modems have a 'reset' button or pinhole. please locate this button/hole, unplug the modem completly and press this button/insert a blunt thin object (such as a paperclip) into this hole for 10 seconds and retry setup

let me know how this goes.

should this not work, due to the device showing in device manager and the disks not working, the only other suggestion i have is to go to device manager, right click the modem, select 'properties' then choose 'uninstall'.
    Restart your computer and allow the 'found new hardware' wizard to reinstall the device.

Let us know how you get on, as i'm sure others will have suggestions for you.