Thread: Internet SLOW

Unhappy Internet SLOW

As of late my internet connection has been incredibly slow when trying to access certain web pages, but not all(7 minutes to load my e-mail page).Had my cable provider out here and they say that there are no problems.The computer it self seems to be running fine.XP SP3 was installed by my better half probably about the time I started having problems.....could this be the culprit??What do I need to do?You all have been most helpfull when I have had problems before and the problems were solved with your advice!I am anxiously awaiting your most revered opinion.
    Last edited by poorplmbr; 10-25-2008 at 08:11 AM.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A search of this site and especially this article will tell you that there can be more than a few problems following the installation of SP3. Sometimes it's OK and sometimes it's a disaster.

You can uninstall SP3 in Add or Remove Programs, which will take you back to SP2. Also check your System Restore points to see if you can restore your system that way, but remember that you'll lose any changes made to your computer since that date.

My preference would be the second option, but it depends on how long ago you did the update.

As I have understood Add or Remove Programs does not completely remove SP3.....and there are still issues after removal.Are there any other suggestions.....anyone?

Blog Entries

Using Add or Remove Programs works in 90% of cases, and with odds that good it's worth a shot. Your other option is System Restore.

Bottom line is you have problems now, going back to SP2 you might have problems, but probably not.

If SP3 is the problem, there is no other way. Even doing a Repair install won't work. If your original disk is SP2, you'll only have the option to do a clean install because the 2 versions aren't the same. At least going back to SP2 will give you that extra option.

Your choice.

OK... So I uninstalled SP3 using CCleaner (earliest system restore check point date is after when the problem started) and I'm still having the same issue...took 10 minutes this morning to load my email page from my home page(Optimumonline)...takes an awfully long time to load my Hotmail page from MSN home page too....Anything else I could try?Getting very frustrating considering I have always had great speed untill now

Blog Entries

That's why using System Restore is better because Add or Remove Programs doesn't necessarily get rid of everything. Pity there wasn't a suitable restore point.

It's possible that the problem only exists with IE7. Have you tried another browser? You may have problems accessing Hotmail, but you'll notice if there's a difference generally.

If you only have IE7, try running in No Add-ons mode?

To start IE7 in No Add-ons mode right-click on the IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons; or click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (No add-ons).

Further info on No Add-ons Mode here.

You could also try a Reset in IE7 Advanced settings, but read this before using.

Other than that, you have the option of a Repair Install, but the format of that really depends on what you have, XP Installation Disk or Installation data stored on Hard Disk (as with Dell/Compaq or HP).

EDIT....It seems that running a Defrag of C: drive can also help.
    Last edited by arraknid; 10-26-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added info

I am running IE6 not 7 and defragging has not helped.......now what??

Blog Entries

The same applies to IE6. Did you try another browser like Firefox or Opera?

Turns out to be a modem gone bad.......thanks for the responses anyway