Default unable to boot windows 2000

Hi
    I have just bought a second hand Dell Latitude note book which was running windows 2000 proffesional.
    My problem is that I can not boot the system even in to safe mode, when first switched on a message shows saying that a system file is missing or corrupt and that I can try to repair said file by booting from installation Cd & pressing r at the first screen. Unfortunatly I do not have the windows 2000 installation Cd, is there another option to repair or replace this missing file.I have installed Xp onto the same machine but would really like to repair the 2000 installation. I also do not have a floppy drive attached to this laptop

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It may be possible to use the XP installation disk, but without knowing what file is missing it's hard to say. A detailed description of the error message would help!

The exact message reads.
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM\
    you can attempt to repair this file bystarting windows useing the original set up CD-Rom.
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I hope this helps, however I've read elsewhere that Xp installation CD's can not be used to repair 2000 installations,
    your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

You can't repair Win2000 with files from an XP disk, but you can use the disk to get to a command line. Be sure to set your boot order in BIOS so that the CD/DVD drive boots first.

When the disk boots, select R to launch the Recovery Console.

Once you get to the command line, follow the instructions here. The files are copied from within the Win2000 installation, not the disk.

If you have problems, try booting into XP and copying the necessary files from there.

Hi araknid
    Thanks for helping. I think followed the instructions from the microsoft site correctly, but was informed that the file could not be found.What should I have typed in the line copysystem %systemroot%\system32\config I typed copy system C:winnt\system32\config

Can you give me intructions how to copy and replace the file manually

Ran the recovery console again, and found a new folder called repair in here was the file "system " which I copied over to the system 32 folder and rebooted everything now works fine.
    Thanks for the help and you guys are great.

Blog Entries

Pleased it worked out for you. Just in case you need it for the future, you could have started up in XP and physically copied those files in the Win2000 Windows folder.

Good luck.