Unhappy windows\system 32\config\system. error

I have a Dell dimension 4400, with windows XP. I got the window\system32\config\system, page. I do have the windows instalation disk. I was also advised that I should download "Linux", in order to save all of my files.
    Now I went to Linux on my other computer and did not know what Linux to download and did not know if I could save it to a disk in order to instal it onto the stuck computer.
    Now the 2nd question.
    So far this is what I did to the cown computer. I started the dell with the instalation disk in. When the Dell logo appeared I pressed F12. A new window appeared: " Please selece boot device." I selected "ATAPI CD-ROM" and pressed enter. A new screen appeared. It said to press any Key to boot from CD. I did and got the error screen again. I went through it again and this time pressed R. I got a windows setup screen. It said the following
    " Set up is loading files
    To ser up windows XP press enter
    To repair a windows XP instalation using Recovery Consol Press R
    To quit set up without instaling windows XP press F3"
    I pressed R
    New screen.
    " Please select a valid instalation # ( I did not know what this is)
    Which windows instalation would you ike to log onto." ( Same here?)
    I stopped here because it started to become too complicated.
    NEW DEVELOPMENT; Now when I get the screen for " PLEASE SELECT BOOT DEVICE": I go to ATAPI CD-ROM and press enter. I now get the original error screen!!
    HELP! I do not want to loose all of my files.
    Should I buy a Registry fix program?
    If I did would It work when I cannot get the system up?
    And what about the LINUX syster.
    Last edited by smilingbobby; 01-02-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: NEW DEVELOPMMENT;

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When you press R to enter Recovery Console, you need to select the installation you wish to repair. If you see something like to Windows XP or just Windows, you'll see a number in front of it. If you only have one installation, it'll be #1. Just type 1 and hit enter. If you use an admin password, enter it next, if not just hit enter again.

Once you get the command prompt, follow the instructions as shown here. Print it all out first, or use a second machine to follow the instructions. Take care to copy the instructions exactly - especially where the spaces occur.

If you want to rescue your files, the version of Linux you need is Knoppix. You need to download it and burn to a disk using software like Nero, PowerIso, Daemon Tools, etc. The integrated XP burning software won't work. All info is on the same site.

Bur

I'm getting the same error. I can't boot to safe mode or any other option. Also, I have an OEM machine, so no XP disk. When I choose the advaced o/s options from the boot choice screen, I get a STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8445b978, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000) error. Any suggestions?

I've got a HP Pavilion Slimline s7600nPC with a single CD/DVD drive and no flash stick. Also, the recovery disk that came with my machine won't work because there have been updates to Windows since the build was created.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@ Bur Please don't add your problem to an existing thread. It may look similar but probably isn't.

Please repost this as a new thread.