Default re-installing Vista options

Giving strong thought to reformat/reinstall Vista Home Premium. I have two choices.
    1. Use the recovery partition or recovery discs that come with the computer.
    This one is basically free and I have SP1 on a CD.
    2. Purchase Vista Home Premium with SP1 already included.
    Free is winning out at this point .
    If I use the recovery partition or disc will I be able to install my choice of either the 32bit or 64bit version. I'm assuming 32bit since that is what is on the computer at this time. I have Vista 64bit on a laptop and I think I would like to go ahead and put the 64bit version on the desktop. HP offers both version support for my computer (m9150f) on their website. I'm waiting for a memory upgrade to arrive before I do anything. The computer came with 3gb of pc2 5300 and I have ordered 4gb of pc2 6400 (that's why I am considering the 64bit version). The MB supports 5300 and 6400. I guess HP put 5300 to save a buck or two.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 12gb Ram / Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    HP w2207 Monitor / 24X Dual Layer Optical Drive / 700W PSU /
    Nvidia GeForce HD N460 1GB /...Keurig ready to brew a quick cuppa!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I doubt whether you'll have the 64bit version available to you. It would have needed to be installed at point of purchase. That leaves you with 32 bit version.

HP have all of the recovery files on a hidden partition accessed by pressing F11 at boot up. The benefit of using that option is that all originally-included drivers will also be installed. Purchasing a new retail disk will mean downloading and installing them yourself.

As I mentioned in another thread, creating a slipstreamed disk is preferable, as it will have SP1 incorporated into it, but without a Vista installation disk, that's somewhat difficult. That means you'll have to use your SP1 upgrade disk.

If you contact HP and tell them you needed to replace the hard drive, they'll send you a set of recovery disks - maybe even with the SP1 update included. It's worth a shot!

More info here.

Good luck.

Thank you, I just finished Googling for the 32bit/64bit upgrade question and have determined that I would need to purchase that upgrade. I am pretty sure that I am going to go the cheap route (retired, fixed income) and use either my recovery partition files or the CD recovery files. Time, I've got (I hope ) so if it take a few days to get everything set to my liking, no problem.
    Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be asking for help again at some point and hopefully I can help with the things I have a bit of expertise with.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 12gb Ram / Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    HP w2207 Monitor / 24X Dual Layer Optical Drive / 700W PSU /
    Nvidia GeForce HD N460 1GB /...Keurig ready to brew a quick cuppa!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You're always welcome, and if anyone has similar problems, I'm sure you'll be able to offer some sound advice. Good luck.