Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with a dinosaur laptop and ethernet card

I'm not sure if there's anyone brave enough to tackle this one. I've done it before and it's simple but for some reason it's not working for me now. I've had a laptop that came with Windows 98 which I eventually upgraded to XP but then downgraded to 2000 when it took 5 minutes for a window to load.

So now I have this antique running on 2000 and a Linksys Ethernet card (Linksys by Cisco - PCMPC100 Support) connected to a cable modem. It worked just fine for months but after I didn't use the laptop for a few weeks it wouldn't connect to the internet anymore. Externally the connection looks normal (lights are flashing ok) but the driver is unrecognized on the desktop (yellow exclamation mark). I tried reinstalling with the original operating disk but it didn't read any files to fix the problem. I would really appreciate any help. I'm sure there's an easy solution to this.

but the driver is unrecognized on the desktop (yellow exclamation mark)
    Do you mean that you have exclamation mark on the icon in the tray area (bottom-right side of your desktop, next to the clock) or in Device Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by theseven View Post
    Do you mean that you have exclamation mark on the icon in the tray area (bottom-right side of your desktop, next to the clock) or in Device Manager?
    In the device manager is the exclamation mark. In the tray the device appears as a green arrow with a grey bar and if I click on the icon it gives me the option to stop the device.

Have you tried to uninstall the device completely and reinstall it?
    Visit the link you have in your original post, download and unpack drivers to some temporary folder. Please make sure that you select the correct version for your card.
    Then just go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, find entry related to your Linksys card, select uninstall and follow on-screen instructions.
    Restart your laptop.
    Now navigate to the folder where you unpacked drivers, double-click on INSTALL.EXE and again follow on-screen instructions.

Have you tried to uninstall the device completely and reinstall it?
    Visit the link you have in your original post, download and unpack drivers to some temporary folder. Please make sure that you select the correct version for your card.
    Then just go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, find entry related to your Linksys card, select uninstall and follow on-screen instructions.
    Restart your laptop.
    Now navigate to the folder where you unpacked drivers, double-click on INSTALL.EXE and again follow on-screen instructions.
    According to the readme the driver doesn't need the files. The computer should be able to recognize the device. Should I try uninstalling anyway?
    (I'll be online to keep this moving.)

You can try update drivers before doing reinstall.
    Still you need to download and unpack drivers.
    Open Device Manager, right-click on your network card with exclamation mark, select "Update Driver...", then "Install from a list or specific location", click "Browse" and navigate to the folder with drivers. The rest is quite obvious.
    Please let me know if you get stuck at some point.

By the way, that it is saying in Device status if you select Properties in Device Manager?

You can try update drivers before doing reinstall.
    Still you need to download and unpack drivers.
    Open Device Manager, right-click on your network card with exclamation mark, select "Update Driver...", then "Install from a list or specific location", click "Browse" and navigate to the folder with drivers. The rest is quite obvious.
    Please let me know if you get stuck at some point.
    I was able to uninstall and after rebooting it went through the motions of adding new hardware. However when the wizard scans the floppy with the files it says it's unable to locate a driver for the device. Any suggestions?

By the way, that it is saying in Device status if you select Properties in Device Manager?
    (under the general tab)
    Device type: other devices
    Manufacturer: unknown
    Location cardbus slot 0

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
    To reinstall the drivers for this device, click reinstall driver.

(Under the driver tab it gives the option to uninstall or update driver. When I tried to update the same thing happened as mentioned above in the wizard.)

I was able to uninstall and after rebooting it went through the motions of adding new hardware. However when the wizard scans the floppy with the files it says it's unable to locate a driver for the device. Any suggestions?
    alphabeta is online now Add to alphabeta's Reputation Report Post
    2 possible solutions:

1. Put files on the floppy, not in any folder on the floppy (sorry if it sounds silly and hope you see what I mean)
    2. Select "Install from a list or specific location" in wizard and navigate to the folder with drivers, not just floppy drive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast