Default Acer 3618 shuts down while trying to boot

I have an Acer 3618 laptop that shuts down while booting (Windows XP-Home). The unit will not keep running for more than a couple of minutes from the time I turn it on. I sometimes get a blue screne, saying that the "video driver failed to initialize", but the screne dosen't stay on long enough for me to read the whole thing. It will not boot into Safe Mode either. Any ideas on what the problem is? The unit is only about 1 1/2 years old.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rather than selecting Safe Mode, try the Enable VGA Mode instead. That'll bypass your video card/chip and should allow the machine to boot.

Thanks for the help, but still no boot

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's possible that your VGA driver is corrupt. You should try to reinstall it using your installation disk. See post #4 here.

If no joy, you could try a repair install, but that may also fail on restart. You should seriously consider rescuing your files and doing a reinstall, but if there's a problem with the graphics chip, that won't solve the problem. Saying that, that sort of hardware failure is pretty rare.