ido

Default missing/corrupt system32 file

I've tried following the walkthrough at Help2Go - free computer help and advice - C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt done by Mike E. but I've hit a point where what he's written and what my computer says come to an impasse. at option 3, where they step by step for doing a minor system restore, he lists that the screen should say

C:\windows>

but all I get is

C:\>

I tried entering C:\>windows hoping to get to C:\windows> but that was an invalid command. I tried ignoring the "windows" part and just putting in

C:\>CD C:\system~1\_resto~1

but it said that the file path couldn't be found.

Help?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

After choosing the Repair option, you would have been asked to select the operating system you wish to repair, usually by entering 1 and hitting enter. That'll give you the prompt C:\windows>.

You may find this option easier to follow.
    Last edited by arraknid; 01-31-2009 at 11:29 AM.

ido

I never see an option to choose an operating system, at the blue screen where I press "r" for the repair console it says windows XP home edition. And the black screen after that says at the top "Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console".

And when I tried this walk through, I got stumped at the very first step. When I entered "md tmp" it returned "access denied" and I didn't see any options for working around that.

Blog Entries

To quote what Mike says....

Once you get into the Recovery Console it'll ask which Windows install you want to use. If you're a regular computer user there should only be 1 listed (Usually listed as 1. C:\windows )
    This is what you should get....

followed by....

At that point, you type 1 and hit Enter. Then enter your Admin password if you have on, or just hit Enter again if you haven't. That'll give you the correct prompt.

If you don't have a Windows installation shown, it probably means it's totally corrupted and inaccessible. In that case, your only option is a complete reinstall after saving any data.

ido

Yeah, the first screen looks exactly the same. the second just goes straight to C:\> after the line saying "Type exit to quit...."

by doing a complete reinstall, will I be able to get back to the files and documents that are on the hard drive or are they gone?

the first walk through said something about slaving the bad hard drive to a good computer, might that be an option?

At this point I'm not concerned with keeping the computer running, it's about 8 years old now and I haven't upgraded any of it's components. Just want to be able to salvage alot of family photos and spreadsheets I'd used to track finances etc...

i dunno if arraknid is arround, so i'll answer quickly....

there seems to be no windows partition to boot from, so to save the files you have 2 main options:

1, install the drive as a slave drive into another pc/usb enclosure. the files may still not be retrievable, but its worth a go.

2, create a knoppix live bootable cd.

this is like a vurtual operating system you can run from your CD drive, and get to your files that way, if they are accessable.

in my experience, you have more chance thru knoppix than slaving the drive, but do whatevers easiest for you first. slaving the drive wont harm anything if it does not want to work.

THIS will explain the knoppix way
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Blog Entries

You have a number of options to save your data. The simplest by far is as you suggest - install it as a second drive into a working machine. However that brings its own problems. As the machine is old, it will have a flat ribbon cable connector. Depending on the age of the second machine, if it's pretty new, it may not have that type of connection available. A lot of newer machines only offer SATA connectors. There are adapters available, and they work OK.

If you do have the correct connector install it, being sure to set the jumper to Slave (there's usually a diagram on the drive showing which pins to fit the jumper to). When the machine starts, the drive will be seen in My Computer and files can be saved to the other drive.

Another option is to download a Linux Live CD image and burn it to a disk. That will give you access to the drive so that you can save files to a flash drive. The best known is Knoppix and can be downloaded from here. My favourite is gOS Gadgets which is here. Both are large files, around 700mb, but they work very well.

Once the data is saved you can go ahead and do a clean install.

Good luck.

See? i read his mind!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7