Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default indecisive about email

I have been running msn hotmail for about a year now. Recently, I got curious about Outlook Express and somehow I opened an account where when I go to reply to a message, the Outlook form shows up. Now which email server is more advantageous, OE or windows livemail?

I don't use either, but the main question to ask for any mail server is- do you access your mail from only 1 computer or do you use several different computers. If you use several computers, a web based email server is good because the mail stays on the server. If the mail is delivered to your computer, it will only be viewable from the computer it was downloaded to. I use Thunderbird from several computers, I set 1 computer for actual delivery and all others to view only. I also use Gmail which is web bases and retains all of your email for you. Charlie

Outlook Express is not my default email server but when I click on the link to apply for a job/reply, OE form is what pops up. Can I send the message via OE and treat OE as my email provider?

Could not connect to Hotmail as sailor1285@hotmail.com.

Hotmail no longer allows email access via Outlook Express for free email accounts.

Please visit Sign In to learn more.

Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at Essentials - Windows Live', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 998, Error Number: 0x800CCCF6

This came up on my screen. Does this mean that one or the other has to go?

Boy, I am going all around on this thing. I pretty much want to get rid of the hotmail and I guess change to gmail. Do gmail and outlook express work hand in hand? Am I correct in assuming that I need an email account outside of Outlook Express in order to make OE work?
    Last edited by sailor86; 02-06-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: punctuation error

As I said in my first post, I don't use Outlook Express, but basically- Outlook Express is not a mail server, it is a program that retrieves your email from whatever server it is setup to check. Thunderbird is very much the same. when setting it up, you enter all of the info it needs to know what email server you are using. Gmail, Hotmail, AOL mail are mail servers- you get an actual email address when you sign up. What email program you want to be your default program can be set in Internet Explorer by clicking Tools, Internet Options, Programs. Charlie

Okay. Now I've done it. I clicked on Start. Selected email, which was Windows live mail, and selected remove from list. Wrong move. How do I get "email" back with the Start button?

Never mind the Start menu. I got lucky and figured it out. Now if I could just get my already existing Gmail account to work with Outlook Express, I'll have something I can work with.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to add to Charlie's post, the way I try to explain to people how programs like Outlook Express work is to use an analogy.

If you think of the mailbox in front of your house, your mailman will flag the fact that you have mail in there. To be able to read that mail, you can either go to your mailbox and open your mail there and read it, or you can bring it back to your house and read it there.

It's the same thing with your online mailbox. You can go online, go directly to your mailbox, open the mail and read it. If you can't be bothered doing that, you can send something to your box which will collect the mail and bring it back to your computer. In order that that 'something' goes to your box and not someone elses, you need to give it your name and password.

That 'something' is called an email client of which there are are many, though Outlook Express is the best known as it comes as part of Windows.

Historically, Outlook Express was created at a time when the only way to access the internet was via a dial-up connection, and the longer you spent online, the more expensive it was, so spending valuable time surfing to multiple mailboxes every day became very expensive. Using Outlook Express solved that problem, cutting online time to a few minutes and shutting down the connection when completed.

These days, with 'always on' broadband connections, that doesn't apply any more, so the use of such programs is becoming less and less - though a lot of people still like the fact that everything is kept in one place and can be better organised. The downside of that sort of software is that anything in your mailbox which contains virus's, etc, will be downloaded to your hard drive, though antivirus programs like Avast will scan all incoming mail to weed the nasties out.

If you want to use Outlook Express with Gmail, this will explain how to set it up.

These are the gmail settings. Open Outlook Express and click on tools, accounts, mail, add- then enter the info for your email address. You will need to go to properties, advanced to set ports and SSL. Charlie

# Google GMail Settings

The Google GMail service offers email client access for retrieving and sending emails through your Gmail account. However, for security reasons, GMail uses POP3 over an SSL connection, so make sure your email client supports encrypted SSL connections.

Google Gmail Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop.gmail.com (SSL enabled, port 995)

Outgoing Mail Server - use the SMTP mail server address provided by your local ISP or smtp.gmail.com (SSL enabled, port 465)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast