Default side-by-side configuration error

I just upgraded to a new computer with 32 bit Vista Home Basic / SP1. No problems moving my old applications from my backup until now. My old Photoshop Elements 3 won't run on Vista so I'm trying to install a new Elements 6 and I get the following error immediately after starting the setup.exe:

"This application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. See the application event log for more details"

The log sez:
    "Activation context generation failed for "E:\adobepse6\Setup.exe". Error in manifest or policy file "E:\adobepse6\Setup.exe" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax."

I'm no geek. What is going on here? What the heck is a "side-by-side configuration" and what does it have to do with installing Photoshop?

thanx in advance

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I have found one solution to this, however before trying it, I suggest you create a new Restore Point. After doing this, go to "E:\adobepse6\Setup.exe" and delete the file. Reboot and see if the problem persists. By any chance did you download this program from a P2P site?

Wow, fast response. THANX

No download. My install is from an official Adobe disc. The setup.exe is on the disc

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

This does indeed seem to be a Vista problem. The best I could find is the information here, Application failed to start - side-by-side configuration incorrect - Vista Help , but it doesn't really give a fix.

Stay tuned as others may have some ideas.