Default My start menu, among other things, has vanished.

SO, short story stretched even longer, our Trend Micro protection expired a while ago, and for a time our comp went unprotected into a nasty world of virus and spyware and such. Soon we got Webroot and things were just dandy, it was moving a little faster and doing regular sweeps and yadda yadda.

But THEN it decided to, like, uninstall itself? I don't know, but it was VERY unsettling. So I go to the support system for webroot and they tell me my windows installer thing must have died and I need to find it again, followed the steps, still can't re-install it correctly. Do some other stuff- nothing.

My start menu is gone and everything is just uninstalling itself (printer, Microsoft word... none of it wants to work.)

And when I try to install the Webroot now, I get this : Runtime Error: cannot import dll.C:\DOCUME~1 blah blah blah.

And, in case you were wondering, I did have to actually retype that lovely message because- OH YEAH- copy/paste doesn't even work.

And I don't understand any of this.

I would be forever grateful if someone could kindly tell me what is going on?

Thanks. :]
    Last edited by KellysWorld; 02-18-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: I forgot the "s"?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First thing to do is go here and follow the instructions. When you get to the HiJackThis scan log, you'll need to post it here, so you may need to use another machine to upload it. If necessary, try starting the machine in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that makes a difference.

You don't mention whether you have any antivirus software installed now, do you?

Good luck, and please remember this is a family site, OK?

Thank you for your help!

Oh, and I actually did NOT know that. I'll go ahead and clean up that last sentence.

Oh, and no I don't have any current protection since the Webroot thing fell through.

Blog Entries

Try installing a free antivirus program like AVAST, Avira or AVG. All come with good recommendadtions.

None of the things it told me to download want to run. :/
    I should probably just take this over to Geeksquad, eh?

Blog Entries

Have you tried running in Safe Mode? Depending on the machine, the way to access SM is different, but for starters, try tapping the F8 key as the machine boots and select Safe Mode with Networking.

I'm computer illiterate- I have no idea what safe mode is haha. But I'll try that F8 thing. Thank you.

Blog Entries

If that doesn't work, tell us what machine you have.