Default Computer extremely slow to pull up pages

Hi, For several weeks my computer had been infected by several trojans and viruses which seem to be gone now. I've done numerous spyware scans and my computer is clear.

However, there are several problems that started at the time I had trojans that still persist. Before that everything was fine but I installed a program that I thought was safe, it wasn't, and after that, the problems began. I thought the trojans were causing the problems but I don't have trojans anymore and the problems remain.

I've done everything I can think of to clear them, to no avail. I've run the CCleaner, spyware scans, deleted cookies, temporary files, etc.

These are some of the problems.

My computer is fast to start up but when I pull up a page, it takes a very long time to do so. First of all, there's a box at the bottom of the screen with green boxes that shows the progress, one box, two boxes, etc. It takes at least four minutes to have all the boxes appear.

When the page finally comes up, everything freezes. I can't scroll or hit the back or forward button. Nothing, because there's another set of green boxes at the bottom of the page and until they all appear, which takes another 3-4 minutes everything is at a standstill. If I click any button, nothing happens. If I try to exit the whole thing nothing happens.

If I click "exit" numerous times sometimes a box will appear that says "page is not responding." If I click to "end now" nothing happens. If I click "end now" numerous times each time another box will appear that says "end now". If it finally ends the page it will wipe out every page I have minimized.

If I try to bring up a minimized page while calling up the first page is processing, the first page will appear, disappear, the minimized page will appear for a split second then disappear, etc. Sometimes minimized pages have disappeared completely and many times I end up with the minimized page doing the same thing as the first page is doing(one green box, two green boxes, etc)so there's double the problem.

It always ends up that I have several pages that are in a "freeze" waiting to be called up, each with an hourglass that indicates "wait", each with green boxes at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes I've waiting 20 minutes for the whole thing to sort itself out. Sometimes it doesn't. I've tried only keeping one page operating at a time but it doesn't make any difference.

Any help would be much appreciated as to what the problem might be and how to fix it. Thanks.

(BTW, a speedcheck indicates 1570 kbps download and 313 upload speed)

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What browser is this? Have you tried using another to see if it acts in the same way? If you are using IE, try running it in No Add-ons mode. Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (no add-ons mode). See if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    What browser is this? Have you tried using another to see if it acts in the same way? If you are using IE, try running it in No Add-ons mode. Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (no add-ons mode). See if that makes a difference.

I'm using Internet Explorer.

As for your suggestion, it worked! There's a 100 percent improvement. 100 percent!

The pages pull up within two seconds and if I call up any one of a number of minimized pages ,one after the other. they come up equally as fast. No page mix-ups, no disappearing and reappearing pages. No waiting.

What a relief.

Thank you so much arraknid. I really appreciate your help on this.

Blog Entries

OK, now you know that works, you need to go into IE and do the job properly. Running in No add-ons mode is purely temporary for diagnosing problems.

Start IE, click on Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab then hit the Reset button.

You'll now be prompted from time to time to download an add-on, eg. Flash, Shockwave, etc. That's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    OK, now you know that works, you need to go into IE and do the job properly. Running in No add-ons mode is purely temporary for diagnosing problems.
    Start IE, click on Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab then hit the Reset button.
    You'll now be prompted from time to time to download an add-on, eg. Flash, Shockwave, etc. That's OK.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was another step to this since my computer was working fine.

I see it says only to hit the Reset button if the browser is "in an unusable state" which it doesn't seem to be because everything seems to be working fine but I went ahead and hit "reset".

When I receive the prompts to download an add-on do I select what I want or download whatever it suggests?

Thanks again for all your help.

Blog Entries

They'll be things you need to access parts of the webpage you are on. All quite normal. Just install what's necessary.
    Last edited by arraknid; 02-20-2009 at 03:01 AM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Let's put this thread on hold for now. Rio is asking for help in the Spyware forum as he's downloaded a trojan from a bad site.