Thread: Wired Routers

Default Wired Routers

How do you pick a good wired router? I only need to connect one other computer to the ethernet mine uses - simplicity is best.
    Thanks

My choise of a router was based on a friend's advice =))

I've got LynkSys

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are a plethora of models to choose from, so just go for the best you can afford. If you don't want wifi, choose a model without it, but make sure you can connect at least 2 network cables. A lot of the cheaper models have one LAN cable connector (RJ45) and one USB.

Query: My modem supplied from the phone company went ka-plooie and they replaced it but while on the phone with the tech disecting the problem I asked about a router because the last time my internet went down it was because of this Zonet wired router. (Which I think I discussed in another thread.) Well, the tech said that yes I can use a router but it has to come from the modem to the router to the other pc. I can't for the life of me figure out what that tech was talking about because the back of my modem has one ethernet jack, one usb jack, a line and a phone line jack. Is this what you were refering to aaraknid by there being only one LAN? I don't even know what the USB one is for unless that is what is to be used to go out to the router or other pc?? I tried to find a picture of the back of this modem but there wasn't one online.
    Thanks.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If you can give us the router's model, we can check it out for you.

A wired router usually has 5 ports on the back. Four are the same and 1 is different. The one different one is the one that connects to the modem. The other 4 are what connect to the computers. Typically, the ethernet cord that now goes from the modem to your computer will go from the modem to the router. A separate ethernet cable is used to connect each computer to the router. You will not use the USB connection at all, that is only for connecting 1 computer directly to the modem.

My personal preference for brand would be determined by the modem. If possible (and it isn't always) get the same brand of router as the modem. There is a better chance of everything working together right out of the box with no extra configuring needed. And if there is a problem, there is only one company to deal with. That said, I have a Motorola modem and a D-Link router and everything works fine.

Charlie

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm amazed! You are still connecting modems to routers? It sounds as though North America is lagging a little in the technology stakes. Here in France (and most of europe), all providers supply one free box which contains everything - and I mean EVERYTHING!

Take a look at the typical available connections on the attachment.

3 LAN connections + 1 USB, all of which can be used at the same time.
    TV connection for optional multichannel TV decoder delivered via internet
    Tel (telephone) connection for integrated VOIP option which allows calls to any number - fixed or mobile, anywhere in the world and all for FREE!
    DSL connection which connects directly to the phone socket.

The box also has an integrated WiFi capability.

For those interested, this is the full spec of the latest versions...

Broadband modem-router with built-in Wi-Fi®
    • ADSL G.dmt / G.Lite / ADSL2 / ADSL2+ / ANSI T1.413 / Annex A
    • Built-in BroadRangeTM Wi-Fi®
    • Latest-generation 300 MHz MIPS32® Dual Thread processor
    • Multi VC ATM (8 VC)
    • PPPoE (AAL5/RFC2684-RFC2516)
    • Configurable DHCP server
    • Static routing tables
    • NAT / PAT
    • Dynamix DNS client compatible with dyndns.org
    • Universal Plug-and-Play IGD 1.0 (UPnP)
    • Uploadable firmware upgrade
    • Firmware based on Linux 2.6 and Open Source
    • Remote maintenance
    • Compatible with Microsoft Windows® 98 SE and later, Apple Mac OS 9.1 and later, and Linux
    BroadRangeTM Wi-Fi®
    • Built-in WLAN 802.11g BroadRangeTM access point (compatible 802.11b)
    • Reception sensitivity –73 dBm for 54 Mbit/s, with BroadRangeTM technology
    • Security by 128-bit WEP or WPA encryption
    • Filtering by MAC address
    • Automatic selection of best Wi-Fi® channel
    Voice over IP
    • MGCP protocol
    • Codec G.711, G.726 & G.729 ports
    • Four Ethernet RJ-45 10/100-BaseT connectors, with one for TV service (built-in switch)
    • Two 480 Mbit/s USB 2.0 master A-type connectors
    • One 12 Mbit/s USB 1.1 device B-type connector
    • One RJ-11 ADSL connector
    • One RJ-11 phone port (FXS)
    Peripheral sharing
    • USB print server
    • Storage device (hard disk, USB key, etc.)
    Upgrade support
    • WLAN 802.11n via PCMCIA
    • Wi-Fi® Protected Setup (WPS)
    • WPA2 encryption security
    • Advanced filter function
    • FTTH via Ethernet optical converter
    • FON hot-spot
    Sustainable development
    • WEEE legislation
    • RoHS compliance
    • Recyclable package
    Physical specifications
    • 247 mm long by 162 mm deep x 56 mm high
    • External AC/DC adapter: 12 V, 1,6 A
    • Weight: 735 g
    • Front-panel indicators and pictograms
    Attached Images
    Last edited by arraknid; 04-15-2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: removed oversize image and replaced with attchment

My modem is a Qwest M1000 and the router was/is a Zonet "ZSR0104CP Cable/DSL Broadband Router." The router made the modem stop connecting to the internet a while back and I haven't figured the thing out since. Its just left my kids pc out of internet service which is no big deal. I tried reconnecting it not too long ago and got no internet again. I figure I just need to get a better router. Qwest is the phone company I connect with and part of the contract is renting this modem for $5 a month (which costs about $80 at Best Buy I think!) I would have to call to see if I can use something else. It also came with "filters" to add to each phone jack that has a phone connected to a landline.

I think I may have figured out what wire goes where while typing this up so I will get back to you. (Unless it is the configuration I had before when the router pooped out) In the mean time, your input is more than welcome.

Red face

OK, well that didn't work either! I took the other end of the ethernet cable that is plugged into my modem and plugged it into the WAN outlet on the router. Then took two other ethernet cables and put them in ports 1 and 2, connecting one of each to the two pcs' we have. All the correct lights were on the modem and router, my pc got no connection but my daughter's did. Odd. So I took her ethernet cable and plugged it into my pc thinking maybe the cable was bad. Still no connection. Then I tried all the other ports coming from the router to see if it was that. Still no connection.

A few months back I found something about a default IP address for the router but if that was the case why would it work for one pc and not the other? And won't that mess up the IP address for my pc? I know nothing of IP address. I can call my internet provider just as easy but some feedback would be appreciated. Just a reminder, I need step by step instruction.

Picked up a Dynex hub today and all systems are a go! {shrug}